Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.H.5 Markings.

pete-c

Could any one identify the markings on the attached image of a DH5?    An early version of those carried by the American 22nd Pursuit Sqn, or just a bit of 'artistic licence'?   Also, does anyone have any details about the artist - Ebel?

D.H.5 Painting 1.4.18.jpg

Edited by pete-c
Clarification

9 hours ago, pete-c said:

Could any one identify the markings on the attached image of a DH5?    An early version of those carried by the American 22nd Pursuit Sqn, or just a bit of 'artistic licence'?   Also, does anyone have any details about the artist - Ebel?

D.H.5 Painting 1.4.18.jpg

Hi

A lot of 'artistic licence', it also has French 'cockades' and the wrong colour order for the rudder stripes whether in French or British service!

Mike

42 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

A lot of 'artistic licence', it also has French 'cockades' and the wrong colour order for the rudder stripes whether in French or British service!

Mike

It's a strange one Mike isn't it.   French cockades on wings and fuselage, and yet the rudder stripes are British - red at the front, blue at the rear.   And as far as I'm aware, no D.H.5 was ever operated by the French.   As for the 'squadron marking' - who knows - although it is very much like the US 22nd Sqn.

It appears to be a “Drawing of Airco DH.5 from the collection of Carl Berhmann”, but I doubt that will help.

7 hours ago, Knotty said:

It appears to be a “Drawing of Airco DH.5 from the collection of Carl Berhmann”, but I doubt that will help.

Would you have any more info on Carl Behrmann?  

Hello pete-c

All I have on Behermann was that he was a German WW1 pilot who put together photo albums and sketch’s.

Sorry can’t help any more, probably Google may throw up some additional information and there might be something on the Cross and Cockade website.

John

13 hours ago, pete-c said:

It's a strange one Mike isn't it.   French cockades on wings and fuselage, and yet the rudder stripes are British - red at the front, blue at the rear.   And as far as I'm aware, no D.H.5 was ever operated by the French.   As for the 'squadron marking' - who knows - although it is very much like the US 22nd Sqn.

I think you're referring to British rudder stripes after 15 August 1930.  During the Great War British and French rudder stripes were both blue at the leading edge and red at the rear.  The USAS used red at the leading edge and blue at the rear.

Gareth

15 minutes ago, Dolphin said:

I think you're referring to British rudder stripes after 15 August 1930.  During the Great War British and French rudder stripes were both blue at the leading edge and red at the rear.  The USAS used red at the leading edge and blue at the rear.

Gareth

Thanks for the correction Gareth - and of course Mike M!   This leads me more and more into thinking that this is some spurious USAS scheme. 

John - many thanks for you help re Behermann.   Having found nothing relevant for Berhmann I shall have another check via Google for this spelling.

57 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Pete

Try Carl-Ludwig Berhmann or Carl Berhmann

eg: https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/2020601/contributions_607.html

I've just found the image of the D.H.5 on the same europeana site - artist unknown.   Thanks however for the details above Michael.   Whether the artist was Berhmann himself though, is any-ones guess.

Thanks everyone.