Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Sonialouise

WW1 war art

Sonialouise

I was gifted this shell, and was wondering is it original “war art” and is there any monetary value?

My grandfather was on the western front for New Zealand so I will

be holding on to the “vase”. 

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with these shells? 

Thankyou. 

Sonia

CF668768-A63D-4970-B069-F5D25CF31D18.png

19B3A4B2-4C7E-4E03-94AD-213876847AC4.png

David Filsell

The number available and the number I have seen in the past makes me wonder if operational formations with the necessary technical expertise and skilled personnel near the front or behind the lines were  running some kind of mass production or operating a bespoke orders operation. Or if post War French and Belgian companies were doing the same. One,s thing for sure, most weren't made in the trenches.

squirrel

Often wondered what shell cartridges would be used for in the front line apart from gas warning gongs. And, as the Artillery rarely used guns in the front line, how the cartridges would have got there in the first place.

Retlaw
19 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Often wondered what shell cartridges would be used for in the front line apart from gas warning gongs. And, as the Artillery rarely used guns in the front line, how the cartridges would have got there in the first place.

Guns, and the occupation of trenches was constantly moving back and forth if the guns had to be moved quickly, they weren't going to pick all the empty brass up. Lads in then rear lines could have been chiseling away at that brass in their spare time. they could have been print works engravers in civi street , keeping their hand in.