Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMSO Weekly Casualty lists

MacM

My apologies if this has been canvassed before, but has anyone else noticed the break in the series in the Weekly Casualty Lists located on Find My Past? Only 2 pages of the 1 January 1918 edition, nothing from 8 January to 2 April, one page of the 9 April edition, and page 1 missing from 16 April.

Does anyone know of  another digital source that covers these dates?

Yes, I've noticed that and the poor images on FMP. TheGenealogist has them as well but I think you'll find different coverage on each site. Doesn't help when FMP say they have dates that they don't have.

TEW

Cheers TEW

I've now raised it with them - waiting on their response.

I see that the British Newspaper Archive site also has the casualty lists, but with exactly the same gaps - must be from the same source. However they also have the first nine editions from 1919, which Find My Past doesn't have.

• 1 month later...

I think they come under the Newspaper section. Try the

A-Z records search and use 'casualty' as a keyword search. Have to admit it has sometimes taken me a while to find them. 

TEW

That's it - A-Z then 'casualty'. Fourth entry down.

They end at the 31 December 1918 edition.

Editions from 7 January to 4 March 1919 can be found on the British Newspaper Archive site - very useful for returned POWs.

Findmypast have Casualty Lists in two different areas, and strangely one batch end at December 1918, and the other batch include 1919.

In the category Armed Forces & Conflict/First World War , there are databases "British Army, First World War Casualty Lists", and the related Browse database 

British Army, First World War Casualty Lists and British Army, First World War Casualty Lists Image Browse findmypast.

These records appear to cease 31-12-18.

Casualty Lists can also be accessed on findmypast through the category Newspapers and periodicals and you can use the filter "By Newspaper" on the left hand side of the page  to select the title "Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry )". You can then filter by date, and you will see there are some editions for 1919. 4 March 1919 seems to be the last one.

Cheers

Maureen