Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would somone please translate German ICRC entries?

rolt968

James Davidson, 9495, 1 Royal Scots Fusiliers died at Courtrai  in captivity on 24 November 1914. There are no fewer than four ICRC entries.

Unfortunately having been classically educated I don't speak German (Latin, yes, German no!).

I am guessing that Kriegs. Laz. Courtrai is short for something like Military Hospital, Courtrai. Tetanus seems to have had something to do with his death. Apart from those I can't make anything of it.

Could someone translate the key points, please:

ICRC1.jpg.c0523f81ffb01fd37d92a9898dbfd21b.jpg

ICRC2.jpg.e27da7dde78a1b7c0f7e32541ae7086d.jpg

ICRC3.jpg.152c987dd76bdfa8a92251bb18444b3a.jpg

ICRC4.jpg.059e8e96256c5754bffb20dd50fab818.jpg

Many thanks

RM

Edited by rolt968

Hello,

He was apparently wounded at the left hip and was treated in the Kriegslazarett des Gardekorps in Kortrijk. where he died of tetanus probably (as far as I can interpret).

Jan

Many thanks to you both.

Now I see it perhaps I should have got D Company - not from the ledger pages where it says "Komp, D." but I probably wouldn't - I'm not good at word puzzles even in English.

RM

17 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Latin

Are you any good with 16th century English Deeds.

it is not just the Latin it is the very old script too. 

mitget = mitgeteilt. The report of his death was received at the Central Verification Office on 16.02.1914, which I assume is a typo and should be 1915.

Charlie

This is quite remarkable! There is a Belgian death certificate for James Davidson on ancestry. It's in French which I can read.

RM

2 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

Are you any good with 16th century English Deeds.

it is not just the Latin it is the very old script too. 

I am probably a bit rusty I haven't transcribed and translated a 16th or 17th century deed for about six years. I still have my palaeography books.

Many, many years ago I considered doing a dissertation on medieval monastic agriculture. Mercifully the deeds had survived and had been transcribed. However they had been transcribed literally and medieval Latin documents use abbreviations (well known to the compilers).

RM

9 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

This is quite remarkable! There is a Belgian death certificate for James Davidson on ancestry. It's in French which I can read.

RM

I've heard that the military deaths/burials in Kortrijk (Courtrai) were inscribed in the city's records until early 1915.

Jan

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

mitget = mitgeteilt. The report of his death was received at the Central Verification Office on 16.02.1914, which I assume is a typo and should be 1915.

Charlie

Many thanks. It sounds a bit like me. I have been known to get the year wrong well into February.

RM.

Amid all these documents. Nothing says when he was captured.

RM

20 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

There is another card for him but he is wrongly given as Scots Guards https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4302487/3/2/

The grave number is the same as that on the Concentration Report and no James Davidson SG died in 1914.

Charlie

1CB7AF3B-988C-49D4-B287-B2C13194FEB6.jpeg

Thank you.

I have been looking at the war diary. Assuming that he was with his battalion. The latest he can have been wounded and captured was at or near Hooge on 14/15 November. Would that work?

RM