Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Greene Border Regiment

oconnellto

I am searching for information on Henry "Harry" Greene.  He served in France as QMS with the Second Battalion the Border Regiment.  He survived the war but died in the mid 30's of TB. After the war he served in Malta, Rawalpindi and Tientsin.  I believe he finished up as lieutenant.  He was originally from Dublin, but was buried, I believe in England, possibly Southhampton or Winchester.  I would appreciate any help, as I appear to have hit a wall.  Thank you.

Thanks for the speedy reaction to my post.  There is a lot of this that fits.  I would like to know a bit more to be certain.  I know that he was definitely a Quartermaster sergeant and then was promoted to officer sometime later.  I didn't hear any reference to the Royal Engineers, only references to the Border Regiment, Second Battalion.    He served in France and was at several of the main battles, so that tallies with the theatre of war ref.  Thanks again.  I have something to go on.  If you see any more please let me know.  This could be a dramatic breakthrough for me.

The original is on FindmyPast (can't speak for other sites).

It's a record from 39 Casualty Clearing Station

10791 Sgt H. Green (with no "e" this time), 2nd Border Regt, 7th Division

Age 28

10 years completed service

20 months served with the field force

Transferred from 99 Field Ambulance on 20/7/16

Transferred to NZ Stationary Hospital 23/7/16

Injury - sprained right ankle

Thanks, Neil 2242.  Is it unusual for a soldier in the border Regiment with no.10791 to become a soldier in the Royal Engineers with no.310233?  forgive my ignorance, this is a new branch of genealogy for me!

Hi Chris,

The closest date is 1888-09-17 which is Service Number P49681.  I will check out this number, if I can and get back to you.

Thanks for the info.

Tony

Hi Tony,

20 hours ago, oconnellto said:

After the war he served in Malta, Rawalpindi and Tientsin.  I believe he finished up as lieutenant.

13 hours ago, oconnellto said:

I will check out this number

I don't think that you'll find much. What I posted is an extract of some indices that the MoD released for files that they hold, where a man was born before 1901 and had service past the early 1920s. The 'P' prefix represents an officer file, and the number itself was an admin number, rather than a service number. Allowing for potential input errors, if the date doesn't look right, I don't think that it will be your man.

Regards

Chris

Hi Neil 2242.  Re. 10791 Henry Greene Medical Report.  The only sticking point is the 10 years service.  I have a 1911 Census form that says he was working as a Clerk in Dublin and he also got married later that year.  The age works out though; he was born in 1887/88.  So the age, name, corps fit.  however, there is still room for doubt.  If I could link the Service no. 10791 with any post war movement that would probably nail it.  Is there any way of tracking a soldier's movements or postings after 1918?

A few thoughts about the service number for Henry Greene.  In the link below

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/06/border-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html

they give the sequential numbering from 1881 to 1914.  The number  10791 falls around 1913/1914, which would be correct for what I know about Henry Greene.  In the medical report it mentions that he was in the service for 10 years by 1916.  The numbers for 1906 would fall around 8188/9278. Error in the medical report?? Hope springs eternal!

4 hours ago, clk said:

Hi Tony,

I don't think that you'll find much. What I posted is an extract of some indices that the MoD released for files that they hold, where a man was born before 1901 and had service past the early 1920s. The 'P' prefix represents an officer file, and the number itself was an admin number, rather than a service number. Allowing for potential input errors, if the date doesn't look right, I don't think that it will be your man.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris.  Thanks for the explanation. The information fits for the H Greene born in 1888.  He certainly went on well in to the '20s.