Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

Stephen White

Private Herbert Thacker,240794,Died of Wounds on 01.07.1916 while serving with 1st/6th Battalion South Staffordhire Regiment.

However i have just downlaoded his MIC and it shows him having Two different service numbers while serving with the South Staffordshire's 3393 & 240794.Does anyone know why ??.

He first entered the theatre of war on 19.08.1915.

Stephen

Steve

His first number was his Territorial number,the second was the number given when the regiment was renumbered in 1917.

Regards Doug

Steve

His first number was his Territorial number,the second was the number given when the regiment was renumbered in 1917.

Regards Doug

Doug

Thanks for the information.One question though i have Herbert Thacker down as Died of Wounds on 01.07.1916.Would the information you have given me still apply ??.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Yes as far as I know (I'm open to correction) all were renumbered.

Doug

Guest Pete Wood

You might care to look at Jock Bruce's excellent article on TF renumbering at http://www.tf.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_index.htm

The one paragraph that is of most interest, I would suggest is:

It is fairly common to encounter cases where men killed some time before the number change have been renumbered. The usual explanation is that they were initially considered to be missing, were still 'on the books' when new numbers were issued, and were only later confirmed as KIA (although I am aware of one man who died in UK in Mar 16 and was allocated a 6-digit number).

SDGW has Thacker as having his four figure number when he was killed in action.

Interesting that he should be on the SDGW with his four digit service number.The CWGC has him down with his six digit service number.

My next question was going to be what service number would be on his medals.But late today i have been lucky enough to handle both his death plaque and Victory Medal.The medal has his four digit service number stamped on it.

Unfortunately Herbert Thackers Grandson doesn't currently have the BWM and 1915 Star to go with them.

Stephen