Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with contradictory service record re where served

claire_leigh

Hi, 

hoping someone might be able to help me interpret a service record that appears contradictory regarding where the soldier in question served/was stationed.

The records state that he attested in 1916 but was put on Army Reserve until April 1918. 

On the 27th April 1918 he was posted to the 20th Training Reserve Brigade and then to the 115th Training Reserve Brigade on 30th April and sent to Clipstone.

In the October he was transferred to the "G" Machine Gun Corp, 8th Batt MGC and stationed at Rugeley.  

Then in the November he was released for coal mining duties.  

Where the records become contradictory is on form D400  "Descriptive return of a soldier medically boarded before discharge or transfer to the reserve."  On this form it lists India and South Africa in the box for service abroad ??  there are no dates or regiment details accompanying this and it is in typed text as opposed to the rest of the form which has been hand written.  

Following the TR Brigades on Long Long Trail etc I can not see how our where he would have ended up serving in India and South Africa?

On his attestation for from 1916 it is indicated that he had no previous service.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would very much apricated.

I have attached some of the relevant pages from the service record itself

Thanks in advance

Claire 

page 1.jpg

page 9 .jpg

page 18.jpg

page 25.jpg

page 30.jpg

On this form it lists India and South Africa in the box for service abroad ??

It's a pre-printed part of the standard form. The pre-printed boxes would be completed with the length of service where it was applicable.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252