Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Long Shadow: Remembering and Understanding - BBC4 22:25 tonight 19 Nov 18

seaJane

"Remembering and Understanding

Long Shadow

Episode 1 of 3

David Reynolds shows how the common perception of the Great War as futile slaughter has been moulded over time. The image of mud and trenches, poets and poppies was not the general view in the 1920s and 1930s, but developed after the Second World War and most of all, through popular depictions of the war from the 1960s.

Reynolds gets to the roots of shifting public memory by comparing the British and German sense of what the Great War meant right back in its immediate aftermath. Britain invested in the diplomatic ideals of the League of Nations, and Reynolds charts the extraordinary popularity of disarmament movements. For many British people, the terrible sacrifice would not have been in vain if the Great War proved be the war to end war. Reynolds tells the story of the Peace Ballot of 1935, which attracted an extraordinary 11.9 million signatories who hoped to stop the slide to war of 1914 ever happening again. In Weimar and Berlin, Reynolds shows that, by contrast, what mattered for Germany was not preventing another 1914 but another 1918 - the year of humiliating defeat. He also examines the myth of the stab in the back which fuelled the rise of Adolf Hitler and another, even more appalling conflict.

The Second World War changed the meaning of the Great War, creating the sense that 1914-18 had been an ineffectual sacrifice that required a second round. Reynolds examines how in the 1960s a new, less deferential generation looked back at the First World War during the 50th anniversaries. In plays like Oh! What a Lovely War and the rediscovery of war poets like Wilfred Owen, they helped set the public memory of a futile war waged by stupid generals."

Good spot and top tip Jane, much appreciated.

Pete.

It's so good!

• Admin

Indeed it is as discussed in first airing in 2014

There is a book that accompanied the series where Reynolds gives more depth to his argument, well worth seeking out.

Here on Amazon

Ken

Edited by kenf48

I clean missed it in 2014 - oops :)

And I found it tonight by chance about 3 mins before the credits rolled :glare:

Episodes 2 & 3 now in the diary!

Mark

Excellent programme; Reynolds made a terrific one on the Italian Campaign in WW2 I recall. As the closing credits rolled at 11:25pm however the announcer cheerfully announced that we could join David again next Monday evening an hour later! Grrrr!! Why does the Beeb always do this?! Was the same for the Vietnam War series.

• Admin

Thank you for the heads up, I have downloaded from iPlayer

Just watched it on I-player. I saw the first episode at least four years ago but I think it was even more powerful second time around, as I've read more about some of the themes. The way the citation for Wilfred Owen's MC alters on the page was a remarkable visual effect.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like I missed a remarkable piece of television.