Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Decipher HMS ... WW1

anteggs

I wonder if anyone can decipher the name of the ship please? I can't make out the first letter and I'm not too sure on some of the others either.

Thanks in advance 

ship.jpg

Hi

don't know if this helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Alcantara_(1926)

which then states

Motor ships[edit]

A 1928 painting of Alcantara by Kenneth Shoesmith for an RMSP poster. It shows her original appearance as a motor ship with two low funnels.

Harland and Wolff launched Asturias on 7 July 1925 and completed her in February 1926.[8] Her sister ship Alcantara was launched on 23 September 1926 and completed in February 1927.[9][10] The latter was named after Royal Mail Lines' previous Alcantara, which was an armed merchant cruiser in the First World War and had been lost when she and the German armed merchant cruiser SMS Greif sank each other in 1916.

Each of the two new ships was powered by a pair of eight-cylinder four-stroke double-acting diesel engines built by Harland and Wolff to a Burmeister & Wain design. The engines gave each ship 10,000 ihp or 7,500 bhp, and at the time they were the World's largest motor ships.[10] However, their cruising speed was only 16 1⁄2 knots (30.6 km/h), which was less than that of competing ships already on the route between European ports and the South American east coast. This was an embarrassment for Lord Kylsant, who in 1924 had become Chairman of Harland and Wolff in addition to his position as chairman of RMSP.[11]

Compagnie de navigation Sud-Atlantique had two 15,000 GRT liners on the route, Lutetia (1913) and Massilia (1920), that were smaller and older but at 20 knots (37 km/h)[12] could offer a passage that was quicker by several days. Hamburg Südamerikanische Dampfschifffahrts-Gesellschaft ("Hamburg South America Steamship Company") also competed on the route with its 20,517 GRT, 19-knot (35 km/h) Cap Polonio.[13] In 1927 Hamburg Süd strengthened its competition by introducing the liner Cap Arcona, which not only matched the speed of the French ships[14] but at 27,561 GRT also became the largest ship on the route between Europe and South America.[15]

I think this has been ID'd MASSILIA elsewhere.