Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help decoding RFC/RAF squadron on service records

Evening all. I have recently obtained the service records for Joseph Harrison (33699) but am struggling to work out which squadron he was in. The only obvious reference on the records is to '3 AAP "N"' which I have interpreted to be No. 3 (Norwich) Aircraft Acceptance Park. What's confusing is a reference to him being in France "from 28.7.16 to 16.2.19" on the campaigns section of his records. Perhaps he was only at No 3 AAP for a short time before being deployed to France? I'm very new to researching military history so may be missing something very obvious here. Both sides of his service records attached - any help with this would be very appreciated. Also, he is mentioned in dispatches so I am keen to determine if this was for his services for aircraft engineering and maintenance work or for something that took place in France (or a mix of both).

Fold3_Page_98.pdf

Fold3_Page_99.pdf

3(N)AAAP would be 3 Northern Aircraft Acceptance Park (but it was at Norwich and wasn't known as 'Northern')

The Northern Aircraft Repair Depot in the UK was No.2 (Northern) ARD

but 3AAP(N) is 3 Army Aircraft Park(North) which was in France (Puchevillers)

I can't get the page_98 file to download

Edited by nieuport11

Thank you nieuport11 - this is extremely helpful and should fill in a number of gaps. 

Having a few issues with uploading these docs - hopefully this will work:

Joseph Henry Harrison - RAF Service Record.jpg

If you search the Gazette with 'Harrison 33699' and a 1918 date range it comes up with Supplement 30691 page 5943

You need to scroll back to page 5941 for the reason.

It is a despatch from Haig on 20.5.18

'I have the honour to submit a list of names of those officers,ladies,non-commissioned officers and men serving,or who have served,under my command during the period
September 25th,1917 to midnight February 24/25th 1918 whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention.'

So a general mention for service rather than a specific act of bravery