Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Hulme Born 1890

susan2603

Hi, Am researching John Hulme born Chapel le frith Derbyshire.Have found some Military Records enlisting into the RAF 28 Dec 1914. Service No.2660. Think it says he was promoted to Sergeant in 1917.Also mentions he was at Duxford. Any help in explaining what he would have been doing ,and where he was posted would be of great help as I'm a beginner in all this as you may have guessed . Many thanks in advance .

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61400&h=159673&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=eYM2&_phstart=successSource

Edited by susan2603

• Admin

Good morning Susan and welcome to the forum.

I can see J Hulme 2660 did enlist in the RFC (as it was prior to April 1918) and was promoted to Sergeant Mechanic with his trade being Rigger (Aero) here http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/hulme-j

His service records may be on Find My Past - is that where you found him and did it definitely confirm his date and place of birth? Otherwise there are a number of J Hulme in the RAF according to National Archive records (only visible on FMP, which I don't have).

I can't find a Medal Index Card (MIC) for him, someone else may be able to, but if not then that would suggest he didn't serve overseas.

The Long Long Trail link above has loads of info on how to research an individual and the experts here can be very helpful too.

Feel free to ask any questions and good luck with your research.

David

Hi David sorry forgot to mention J Hulme was my Grandmothers first husband. So know his dates and place of birth are correct.I found his RAF records on Ancestry. Some of which also mention promotions.Also other records which i cannot read or understand what they are as some of writing has faded . Many thanks for your help.

• Admin

Susan

If you can post a screen shot or probably better the link to those records then the members here may be able to help you decipher them, they can be pretty amazing when faced with a puzzle!

David

Unfortunately that record is actually on Fold3 not Ancestry, and some of us who already subscribe to Ancestry don't want to pay again for what Fold3 offers.  

Also, this man joined the Royal Flying Corps, so you would have been better posting this query in 'The War in the Air' section of this Forum.

If you ask the moderators to move it there, and attach your record to it as well, you should attract the attention of the RAF experts who will be able to interpret it for you.

If you want to do this but are not sure how to alert the moderators just click on the 'Report Post' link and ask them to move it.

Best of luck.

BillyH.

Thanks BillyH I will have a go at moving the post. 

And yes, I only re-subscribed to Ancestry Premium yesterday and saw about Fold3.  When I found this record there was a free access weekend to military records, but I will not pay again to subscribe to something else.

Thanks for your help.

Hi can anyone help with interpret these documents of John Hulme time in RFC. Sorry not that clear Im afraid .Service No 2660. Rank Sgt Mech. Trade Rigger {Aero} What was a Rigger ? Many thanks .

IMG-20181123-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20181123-WA0008.jpg

1 hour ago, susan2603 said:

Hi can anyone help with interpret these documents of John Hulme time in RFC. Sorry not that clear Im afraid .Service No 2660. Rank Sgt Mech. Trade Rigger {Aero} What was a Rigger ? Many thanks .

IMG-20181123-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20181123-WA0008.jpg

Hi

'Rigger' deals with the 'airframe', especially the 'rigging wires' and the 'rigging' of the aircraft, ie. truing up the airframe when putting it together or after repair, also general airframe maintenance.

I presume "Awd 1st G C Badge" is 'Awarded 1st Good Conduct Badge'.

Mike

Hi Mike thanks for explaining what a Rigger did. I saw that he was at Duxford at some point. Would he have stayed there 0r did they move them around do you know ?

I don't have a copy of the King's Regulations to hand but do recall that a Good Conduct Badge was of considerable worth to the 'other ranks' in terms of pay.

Taking a quick glance at the available service records it'd appear that he served with 75 Squadron, a home defence squadron, in mid-1918.

Dispersed at Harrowly in March 1919. Called up from the reserves in April 1921. To Henlow reserve pool.

However, thinking of the service number 2660, it would imply that the chap could feature in the 'Contemptible Little Flying Corps'? A forum member is bound to have a copy.

On the reference to RAF Duxford? No.35 Training Depot Station (TDS) was based at RAF Duxford, which had only opened in July 1918 as a TDS but became a major centre for the disbandment of squadrons. (It’s now a major part of the Imperial War Museum). 

11 hours ago, Airshipped said:

However, thinking of the service number 2660, it would imply that the chap could feature in the 'Contemptible Little Flying Corps'? A forum member is bound to have a copy.

Only goes up as far as number 1400.

Steve

Hi Airshipped Thankyou very much for explaining what a Good Conduct Badge stood for .Also that he served with 75 Squadron home defence squadron in mid 1918. So does anyone know what they would have been doing in this Squadron please. Could someone kindly explain what is the Contemptible Little Flying Corps please ? As you can see I'm a complete beginner in all this so many thanks for your time .

Hi

There is a book called " A Contemptible Little Flying Corps " written by I McInnes & J V Webb. This lists the regular non-commissioned airmen who joined the Royal Flying Corps prior to the outbreak of War in August 1914. It contains a short biography of each man plus there are some that also include their photographs. It covers men with the service numbers 1 through to 1400 plus men from the Special Reserve numbers SR1 to SR25.

Steve

Hi Steve . Thankyou  for your reply. The book sounds interesting but not sure if my man would be mentioned in it ,as his service number was 2660. Any information regarding this would be much appreciated.