Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dimock Stanley Cassidy. MC Royal Army Medical Corps

Guest Hill 60

Will - Yes, that is the man! Thanks for the help on this mate.

Glad to be of help :D ................It's about time I'm the one able to help you instead of the other way round :lol:

• 13 years later...
On 18/01/2005 at 13:14, Guest Hill 60 said:

I have spent the last couple of hours looking through an amazing document.

It is a book, about A4 in size but 1" longer which is hardbacked (with a label inside stating it was made by Cox & Sharland).

In the inside cover, in pencil, is the name D. S. Cassidy MD who is an ancestor of a work colleague.

What is amazing is the contents of this book. There are 115 soldiers listed, all by hand, with their injuries. They include Officers as well as men from units such as the 1st RMLI and the 2/NZRB through to the Volunteer Serbian Army.

Each entry includes Number, Rank, Name, Regiment/Unit, Home Address, Civilian Employment, Date Wounded (and in a lot of cases the location, i.e. Cambrai). This is then followed by quite an indepth list of injuries and treatment.

At the moment I do not have permission to make this document public, the family are very reticent about allowing it into the public domain. I would love it to be, as I know you all would.

What I would like now is some advice on tracing this D. S. Cassidy MD, please.

Apart from his name there is only one other link I have. This is the mention of 'Welsh Hospital' a number of times in the document.

There is also a smaller book, measuring about 4 1/2" X 5". This has is full of very untidy handwriting and mentions soldiers by name and unit along with treatments. This one, though, is very confusing due to the appalling writing (the larger book has quite good writing) and a number of pages have been cut out.

The front of this smaller book has printed 'ARMY BOOK 136'.

Any advice on how to trace this man would be gratefully received.

My Grandfather was a D S Cassidy, a captain in the Royal Medical Corps.  Originally from Canada, he served in France from 1915 until Sept 1917 (when he was gassed).  He survived the war and settled in England, becoming a successful surgeon.  Died aged 97 in 1976.  I wonder if it’s the same man?  I can compare your document with his hand writing as we have lots of letters he wrote from the front.

• Admin

Unfortunately the member who posted the original thread is no longer a member, hence their guest status. I don’t think you can contact them. 

Michelle 

On 18/01/2005 at 20:32, Guest Hill 60 said:

Will - I think I love you and want your baby! I've asked the family and Dimock is a name that has been mentioned. I'm going to bed in a minute (damn these 04:30hrs alarm calls), will PM you tomorrow.

Yes, that is my Grandfather.  Get in touch if you would like more info on him.

Edited by C Somers

• 1 year later...

I would like to know more about Dimock Stanley Cassidy, a photo of him to add to my research notes would be awesome. 

Here's what I know about him..... so far.

WW1 – T/Capt.  Dimock Stanley  Cassidy. (M.D.) Royal Army Medical Corps.

(LG – 22 Sept 1915.) Undermentioned Lieuts of the Canadian Army Medical Corps to be Temp Lieuts

20 Aug 1915. Dimock Stanley Cassidy M.D.

To France 02 Oct 1915.

(LG – 16 Sept 1916.) Temp Lieut to Temp Capt. 20 Aug 1916.

(LG – 19 Nov 1917.) M.C. Temp Capt  R.A.M.C. (M.D.) / Lieut, Canadian A.M.C.

(LG – 22 March 1918) Awarded Military Cross. For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. When a party of men were gasses in a mine shaft he went down and remained there all night preparing to render first aid. He did not leave his post even when seriously affected by gas.

(LG – 02 Dec 1938.) Dissolved Partnership. Dimmock Stanley Cassidy carrying on the practice profession or business of General Medical Practitioners at 36 Maldon Road, and 73 Woodcote Road, Wallington, Surrey under the style or firm of STEWART & CASSIDY has been dissolved by mutual consent from 01 Oct 1938.

Ref MIC - Shows Rank as Lieut then Capt. Awarded 1914/15 Star, BWM, Victory Medal.

Cheers

Gaz 

Edited by Cassidy Medals
Hit save too early.

2 hours ago, Cassidy Medals said:

I would like to know more about Dimock Stanley Cassidy,

Obituary 

724700155_DSC1.JPG.6d0c65e2122c5ed43820ecac8c7faac3.JPG

DSC2.JPG.384434f4c1b70770f2b866b127a6e5be.JPG

Source British Medical Journal 22nd Aug 1978

A photo of the man in question can be found on a family tree on Ancestry

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
date correction

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting Dimock Stanley Cassidy's Obituary........Cassidy's have been physicians since the 1300's......my brother Eddie Cassidy is a Doctor.......I'm not on Ancestry so haven't seen the photo but will look it up when I can. 

Cheers *hopalong* Cassidy Medals

On 18/01/2005 at 13:14, Guest Hill 60 said:

It is a book, about A4 in size but 1" longer which is hardbacked (with a label inside stating it was made by Cox & Sharland).

Cox & Sharland were printers and stationers in Southampton. 

Both my GGF and GGGF were printers there before the war.

I see in the obituary above, Cassidy was at a Hospital near Southampton - probably RV Netley, he may have started the book there.

Alan.

• 10 months later...
  • spof changed the title to Dimock Stanley Cassidy. MC Royal Army Medical Corps

Great Photos...Thanks for Sharing.