Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dimock Stanley Cassidy. MC Royal Army Medical Corps

Guest Hill 60

I have spent the last couple of hours looking through an amazing document.

It is a book, about A4 in size but 1" longer which is hardbacked (with a label inside stating it was made by Cox & Sharland).

In the inside cover, in pencil, is the name D. S. Cassidy MD who is an ancestor of a work colleague.

What is amazing is the contents of this book. There are 115 soldiers listed, all by hand, with their injuries. They include Officers as well as men from units such as the 1st RMLI and the 2/NZRB through to the Volunteer Serbian Army.

Each entry includes Number, Rank, Name, Regiment/Unit, Home Address, Civilian Employment, Date Wounded (and in a lot of cases the location, i.e. Cambrai). This is then followed by quite an indepth list of injuries and treatment.

At the moment I do not have permission to make this document public, the family are very reticent about allowing it into the public domain. I would love it to be, as I know you all would.

What I would like now is some advice on tracing this D. S. Cassidy MD, please.

Apart from his name there is only one other link I have. This is the mention of 'Welsh Hospital' a number of times in the document.

There is also a smaller book, measuring about 4 1/2" X 5". This has is full of very untidy handwriting and mentions soldiers by name and unit along with treatments. This one, though, is very confusing due to the appalling writing (the larger book has quite good writing) and a number of pages have been cut out.

The front of this smaller book has printed 'ARMY BOOK 136'.

Any advice on how to trace this man would be gratefully received.

Hi,

I think you have two items of strong historical interest (my opinion).

After the war, many of the medial registers and details for soldiers were weeded/destroyed as being of no relevance. Only a sample were retained - these are Admission & Discharge registers for hospitals. It is possible you have seen something similar to this. Check out this thread, there is a scan of an A&D register at the end.

A&D register

Even if this is not the case, as a primary source in a subject area where much of the documentation is now gone, these books are well worth study. As an historian I would be tempted to ask them to put them in the public domain. However, the wishes of the family are as important at least, and they do after all belong to them, so I would suggest taking a gentle line, whatever you decide.

regards

doogal

What I would like now is some advice on tracing this D. S. Cassidy MD, please

If he was an MD, the GMC (General Medical Council) may be able to point you in the right direction.

regards

doogal

Doogal - I totally agree that this document should be 'out there', but like you I respect the family's wishes...but that doesn't mean I won't keep plugging away at them :lol:.

I will try the GMC and hope that they aren't tied up in red tape etc.

Many thanks for your advice.

Hi,

Perhaps you might suggest to the family that they consider letting the documents go on loan to the Army Medical Services Museum at Mytchette as a start. They are no doubt of great historical interest and deserve to be seen by interested historians.

Fred W

Hi Lee

Just thought you may be interested in the following. Although the initials are not totally the same there may be a connection between this one and your man.

David McKay Cassidy, born in South Africa was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh and the Supt. of County Asylum Lancaster in 1881. He was 35 years old at the time and had 3 daughters and one son. The son Maurice mentioned in 1801 census is listed in 1901 census aged 21. He was a resident of Liscard, Cheshire and listed as a Medical Student.

Myrtle

Lee,

I have just consulted the Guy's Hospital Roll of Service, and he is not listed.

However, what you need is an old copy of the doctors' who's who, an annual register issued by the GMC listing all practising (and posssible retired) physicians in the land. I'm sorry I cannot recall the exact title, but your local reference library will know the one I mean. I think there are several issues in our CRO, and if you don't mind waiting, I'll look next time I am there.

Being a doctor, there are bound to be obituaries in professional and local publications. Perhaps, if you can determine his date and place of death, it may lead you to a potted history somewhere.

Hi,

Perhaps you might suggest to the family that they consider letting the documents go on loan to the Army Medical Services Museum at Mytchette as a start. They are no doubt of great historical interest and deserve to be seen by interested historians.

Fred W

Fred - A good idea, however it has taken me around 6 months just to have a look on the promise that it is returned nigh on straight away.

David McKay Cassidy, born in South Africa was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and the Supt. of County Asylum Lancaster in 1881. He was 35 years old at the time and had 3 daughters and one son. The son Maurice mentioned in 1801 census is listed in 1901 census aged 21. He was a resident of Liscard, Cheshire and listed as a Medical Student.

Myrtle - Thanks for that info! I'll ask if their family comes from around that area. :)

Lee,

I have just consulted the Guy's Hospital Roll of Service, and he is not listed.

Kate - Thanks for looking at Guy's HRS, shame he wasn't there. If it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd be grateful if you could look up the book you mention, if I don't do it first (back to work tomorrow :().

I don't know when he died, and I'm not sure the family do either, but I'll check.

I have spent the last couple of hours looking through an amazing document.

It is a book, about A4 in size but 1" longer which is hardbacked (with a label inside stating it was made by Cox & Sharland).

In the inside cover, in pencil, is the name D. S. Cassidy MD who is an ancestor of a work colleague.

What is amazing is the contents of this book. There are 115 soldiers listed, all by hand, with their injuries. They include Officers as well as men from units such as the 1st RMLI and the 2/NZRB through to the Volunteer Serbian Army.

Each entry includes Number, Rank, Name, Regiment/Unit, Home Address, Civilian Employment, Date Wounded (and in a lot of cases the location, i.e. Cambrai). This is then followed by quite an indepth list of injuries and treatment.

At the moment I do not have permission to make this document public, the family are very reticent about allowing it into the public domain. I would love it to be, as I know you all would.

What I would like now is some advice on tracing this D. S. Cassidy MD, please.

Apart from his name there is only one other link I have. This is the mention of 'Welsh Hospital' a number of times in the document.

There is also a smaller book, measuring about 4 1/2" X 5". This has is full of very untidy handwriting and mentions soldiers by name and unit along with treatments. This one, though, is very confusing due to the appalling writing (the larger book has quite good writing) and a number of pages have been cut out.

The front of this smaller book has printed 'ARMY BOOK 136'.

Any advice on how to trace this man would be gratefully received.

Hi Lee

What an interesting find.

Is it possible that your man served as a Doctor with the Red Cross or the FAU or similar? If so, records exist. Near Guildford for the Red Cross and at the Quaker Library in London's Euston Road for the FAU.

This is just a "hunch" based on the fact that a Doctor serving with the RAMC would have had a rank, and probably used it - Lt. Cassidy rather than Cassidy MD. Of course, I could be wrong. It has been known!

Any luck re: the Transvaal Scottish?

Any luck re: the Transvaal Scottish?

Hi Tony - I e-mailed them straight after you gave me their address and.....nothing heard :(

After reading the book I have a feeling that he was a Doc at home and that although he worked in a 'military' hospital he wasn't in the Army due to (as you pointed out) he doesn't use a military title for himself.

Lee,

I wonder if you know any doctors in Milton Keynes who have a deep interest in the Great War - that would be my first port of call.

I have a feeling that there is some sort of RAMC volume listing all who served over many years, but I can't place the details at the moment.

It's perfectly possible that he was at a CCS so you could try tallying the locations he gives tot eh locations of the CCS's (or Base Hospitals) on the mother site.

Martin

Hi Lee,

Another thought. Since Cox &Sharland were publishers in Southampton, I wonder if the Hampshire PublicRecords Office might be able to help you? There may be other copies around.

FredW

Lee..............I have a possible.......... Captain Dimock Stanley Cassidy RAMC - His MIC is online...............right profession & right initials..............strange name though...........perhaps a family one..................do you know if the family were local as if they were a quick trawl through the newspaper archives up at MK libray might be in order.........Best of luck mate

Lee..............I have a possible.......... Captain Dimock Stanley Cassidy RAMC

Will - I think I love you and want your baby! I've asked the family and Dimock is a name that has been mentioned. I'm going to bed in a minute (damn these 04:30hrs alarm calls), will PM you tomorrow.

Lee,

Any chance the family would allow the document to be copied and the copy placed in the public domain?

Fred - A good thought mate, a very good thought. However, there is a problem (let's just say a family problem that negates that thought :(

Please believe me when I say that I will try my hardest (in a diplomatic way) to get the family to allow this document be seen, but it will be very hard!

Another thought. Since Cox &Sharland were publishers in Southampton, I wonder if the Hampshire PublicRecords Office might be able to help you? There may be other copies around.

This is a unique document. It is an original handwritten document, so unless he had it copied it is the only one :(

I wonder if you know any doctors in Milton Keynes who have a deep interest in the Great War - that would be my first port of call.

Martin - Good idea, although we don't have anything to do with that place anymore <_<

Will - I have downloaded the MIC and will get it to the family. All being well, this could be our man.

Many thanks.

I will get onto the GMC next, and see if they can help.

I know someone who is a fanatic on the medical history of WW1. I will get in touch with him forthwioth orf aster and ask him to have a look at this thread and then leave it to him to get in touch if he can help.

If he was a Captain in the RAMC of the Great War era his service record should be at the National Archives. However, it does not appear in PROCAT, the database of the NA catalogue in either WO339 or WO374, the two places I would expect to find it. Could mean he continued well after the war and it is still in the hands of the MOD.

healdav - Thanks for that :)

Chris - I won't be seeing my colleague for a couple of days (forgot that I'm not at work today, I'm back tomorrow :huh:) so I can't ask if the family are aware of how long he served.

Lee..............I have a possible.......... Captain Dimock Stanley Cassidy RAMC

Will - I think I love you and want your baby! I've asked the family and Dimock is a name that has been mentioned. I'm going to bed in a minute (damn these 04:30hrs alarm calls), will PM you tomorrow.

Sorry mate I've got 3 kids already :lol: ...................Hope I've ID'd the right chap for you.............It would be nice to know if he was local as the newspaper archive at the library is pretty good.......I wouldn't bet against him being mentioned if he was a North Bucks chap

Will - Yes, that is the man! Thanks for the help on this mate.

Also, come to think of it I don't want a child! 2 daughters, 1 son, 4 grandchildren is enough for me...no wonder I'm nearly bald :lol: