Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alliance Aeroplane Co & Airco DH9

andy2014

Hi All

I am looking into the Alliance Aeroplane Co at Hammersmith and the DH9?

Just purchased an original large Alliance & Co factory photo album full of 30 large high quality black and white factory photographs.

Looks like the full production line, step by step and  workshops.

Close inspection of the aircraft i believe they are DH9`s which I believe they built on licence during WW1.

Just starting to look into them and thought to see what you guys know?

Will be scanning the Album next week properly.

I am an aircraft mechanic, fitter and engineer by trade after 30 years and have done several restorations of many aircraft and WW2 aircraft before so this album caught my eye with also been into WW1 research.

Be good to chat to others more clued up than me on the RFC in WW1.

Thanks for your time.

Andy 

Screenshot_2018-11-15-18-54-17.png

Edited by andy2014

Alliance were awarded a contract for the manufacture of 350 D.H.9 day bombers (serial number H5541 to H5890); deliveries commenced December 1918.  The company was also awarded a contract for production of 200 D.H.10 three-seat bombers, but the entire contract was cancelled by August 1919.

Graeme

20 minutes ago, topgun1918 said:

Alliance were awarded a contract for the manufacture of 350 D.H.9 day bombers (serial number H5541 to H5890); deliveries commenced December 1918.  The company was also awarded a contract for production of 200 D.H.10 three-seat bombers, but the entire contract was cancelled by August 1919.

Graeme

Great Info! Thanks.

4 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Thanks for the link...

Interesting Read and I think they are the same pictures, I believe the company produced these albums or at least the photographs and someone put them all into this album.

The owners of the album have family going back to 1914-1920`s who worked there and it was passed down. 

Thanks again

• 6 months later...

Hi Andy

I have seen some of these pics but would like to see all your scans if i could. My Dad worked in the factory at the end of WW1 and as they built the Alliance Endeavour in the year after the end of the War. Thiswas one of the planes entered in the 1919 great air race. I also have some other photos of this plane I would be happy to share with you.

Cheers

David

• Admin
1 hour ago, David9385 said:

Hi Andy

I have seen some of these pics but would like to see all your scans if i could. My Dad worked in the factory at the end of WW1 and as they built the Alliance Endeavour in the year after the end of the War. Thiswas one of the planes entered in the 1919 great air race. I also have some other photos of this plane I would be happy to share with you.

Cheers

David

David

Welcome to the forum

Andy hasn't logged in since last December but if you reply to this post you will then have access to the private messaging system (click on his user name and select message, the envelope icon). He will then receive an email at his registered email address alerting him to your message.

Regards

David