Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clarification required on Leicestershire Regiment Battalion numbers

Ian Hible

Hello

I am looking for help to understand the Leicestershire Regiment battalion numbers, before I embark on research for James Albert Hible, Reg No 48303. ( born in 1894)

His medal awards and roll card on Ancestry refers to 1/Leic R Pte, but I am unclear if this is the 1st Battalion or 1/4th Battalion Territorial Force. I have previously been told his service number was possibly issued around mid 1917. His Medal Index Card shows he was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

thanks 

Ian

If it were 4th Leicesters it would say 1/4th Leicesters (1/4th because a second line territorial battalion was raised, 2/4th - the 1/4th existed pre war, the 2/4th was formed in September 1914); or, to keep in line with what is on the card, 1/4th [or 1/4] Leic R - or something very similar. So, he was a private in the 1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment (the regiment was not at that stage 'Royal'). This was a pre-war regular battalion, one of two; It served in the 6th Division throughout the war (more details you can get from the Long Long Trail website).

There were also a 3/4th and a 3/5th for a while during the war.

Edited by nigelcave

• 2 months later...

Nigel

Thanks for the explanation. I will see if I can discover more about the units movements via ORBATS on Forces War Records and the Regimental War Dairies.

I am also hoping, I may get some clues from the digitised pension records I understand are starting to appear on Ancestry.

Ian

PS  apologies for the slow response : I have not logged on for several weeks. 

There is a single book, by Brigadier James (in print and freely available second hand, I would have thought), British Regiments 1914-18, that gives you brief details of every cavalry regiment and infantry regiment's battalions in the Great War and the brigade and division in which they served, when they went/embarked to a theatre and where they ended the war.

Becke produced an multi volume order of battle of divisions (and other formations as well, but divisions is what you will be interested in), including any changes in their ORBAT; it also lists the engagements in which they took part (as listed in the Nomenclature Committee's report).

Thats helpful. I have also found a book called " History of the 1st and 2nd Battalions The Leicestershire Regiment in the Great War" by Colonel H C Wylly.

Additionally, I have discovered an army service record on Find My Past - copy attached - which appears to show he suffered a  G.S.W  Hand R ( which I read as  a gun shot wound to his right hand) near the end of the war. What I am unclear about however, is the reference to " Dis to concentration camp Havre ex 14 con dip  19 Jan '19 "  are you able to guide me on what this means ?

GBM_WO363-4_007266312_00598.jpg

Hi Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Hible said:

" Dis to concentration camp Havre ex 14 con dip  19 Jan '19 "

I think that it reads that on 19th January 1919 he was sent from 14 Convalesce Depot (based in Trouville ?) to a Concentration Camp in (Le) Havre.  Having been wounded (bullet or shrapnel) he would have been passed down through various parts of the evacuation chain (see here) receiving treatment, and then found himself at the Convalescence Depot allowing him further recuperation time there. As the war had finished, my guess would be that his transfer to the Concentration Camp was to await his turn to be returned to the UK, as part of his demobilisation process.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris 

That makes sense: as I have a newspaper article which says he returned home in February 1919.

I will now try to retrace his steps ( via ORBATS / War Diaries / Books) to discover where he may have been wounded.

Many thanks.

Ian

• Admin
On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:57, Ian Hible said:

I have previously been told his service number was possibly issued around mid 1917.

Looking at a few service records with near numbers either side of 48303 indicate that number being allotted in May 1918.

Regards

Russ