Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC - Rolls query - Royal Scots & ASC

m0rris

Without a service record, is it possible to tell from the MIC and Rolls whether the medal entitlement was for the Royal Scots or the RASC, or for both and the time served overseas? Also does “Rasc/101” relate to the Regiment he was in at the time when his entitlement was complete?

His earlier records survive showing his discharge after 22 days for being under age from the 3rd Royal Scots and then he appears again as 3590 9th Royal Scots. His number is later revised to 351132. As he seems to have two ASC numbers, would re-enlist refer to his second stint in the ASC or re-enlist into the army in general? Apologies for all the questions!

Many Thanks

Will

SJLH.jpg

Edited by m0rris

Will,

As you say, he had two RASC numbers. My understanding is that “ES/50245” would have been a temporary number given to him when he enrolled on 12 November 1919. “S/7888” would have been his perminent number. Both indicate service in the Supply side of RASC. His medals were issued on the RASC medal roll 101/B318 page 32655. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Gary

Gary

Many thanks for clarifying the RASC number mystery - that's very helpful. Does that indicate that his medals are primarily for his Royal Scots service?

Will

Will,

The MIC doesn’t indicate which unit is on the medals. Often there is an asterix that shows this. I suspect that is the Royal Scots.

All the best,,

Gary

That's great. Thank you.

My Grandfather was with the 9th East Lancs when he entered theatre and was later transferred to the ASC. His ASC rank of A/Cpl is on his medal but the unit is 9th East Lancs. So I think the likelihood is that Pte Hutchison's medals would be inscribed 'R. Scots'. 

Mark - many thanks. That's sound advice.