Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1915 Star

Paul R

My Great Uncle , Pvt Herbert John Last, died of wounds, Jun 1915 in Gallipoli. I have 2 of his medals

but am missing the 15 Star awarded in acc/w K/2/8B. I hadn’t realised , until I checked his medal roll,

that this medal had been awarded. Can anyone tell me if the Star was specific to the Gallipoli theatre

of war please as I wish to obtain a replacement albeit in miniature .

Dear Paul R,

I suggest you obtain a large un-named 1914-15 Star (in addition to the miniature). These are occasionally available. Even skimmed ones (for less).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Paul,

Yes, I actually have one myself, but forget where I got it. You could Google The London Medal Company and tell Roan I sent you! But there are many more...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Please do NOT buy one with the name of the original recipient erased from it. It encourages the trade in skimming them.

As you can't see the naming details on the stars when they are either mounted or worn, I would advise getting hold of a genuine one named to another soldier. If you want a good price go for ASC or Artillery. Alternatively, holding out and trying to find one for the same regiment would be a nice touch.

Regards,

Mike

Dear Paul,

Mike makes a good point.

If you don't find a blank 15 Star, then a far more reasonably-priced Star to the ASC would be just as good...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the British Medal Forum, and you can ask if anyone has your GU's actual 14-15 star, you never know your luck! someone might also see it for sale somewhere.

Alternatively as mentioned above buy another genuine medal, should get one for about £25

I think there is a facility on eBay where you can get an alert if you relative’s medals are posted for sale. It’s a long shot but it costs nothing to try.

If you have ancestry membership then putting a note on a medal card record and the relevant medal roll record would alert anyone who has it to the fact you're looking for it and ask if they would get in touch with you. You can use the edit function to do this, which notes your ancestry name so they can private message you about it.

Edited by Andy Wade