Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Recent coverage

Steven Broomfield

Over the past four years (only four? Seems far longer), the BBC has put out some utter tripe. Fortunately, much of it has expunged itself from my memory banks (although I do still sometimes wake at night thinking about some of it), with very few programmes actually having deserved the light of day. Good planning and better fortune also conspired to spare me some of the worst excesses. Of everything I did watch, the only programme I recall favourably is Neil Oliver's about Skye's 'Band of Brothers' (and I charitably suspect he wasn't responsible for the title).

However, the last 10 days has really shown the organisation at its very best. Huw Edwards' programme on the CWGC was a blinder; the three 'Last Tommies' were superb; a 30-minute piece on the making of Peter Jackson's film was very revealing; on Tuesday, Dan Cruickshank's Monuments of Remembrance was erudite and informed; and, of course, Jacskon's film to top it off.

Good effort from the national broadcaster. Almost makes me look forward to 2045.

Wonder if the Beeb's surge of excellence is related to the fact that they (or at least Radio Four) now have a "Reality Check Correspondent," whatever that may be.

Neil Oliver's programme was BBC Scotland; but Huw Edwards' was by (so the credits say) Testimony Film, Dan Cruikshank's by DoubleBand Film, and Peter Jackson's by... well Peter Jackson. Is there variability in company output, commissioning editors etc or is it really all the Beeb?

10 hours ago, PhilB said:

Agree on Dan Cruickshank`s programme. Just wish they`d strapped his hands to his sides.

That would probably strike him dumb!

12 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Good effort from the national broadcaster. Almost makes me look forward to 2045.

Why, what's on at quarter to nine?

BillyH.

Cup of cocoa and a digestive biscuit.

There was a documetary earlier on this week called A SOTTISH SOLDIER, which I missed.  Please would  forumites who watched it tell me whether they think  it’s worth watching on  ?

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

21 hours ago, PhilB said:

Agree on Dan Cruickshank`s programme. Just wish they`d strapped his hands to his sides.

I half expect his fingers to come through the tv screen and poke me in the eye.

1 hour ago, phil andrade said:

There was a documetary earlier on this week called A SOTTISH SOLDIER, which I missed.  Please would  forumites who watched it tell me whether they think  it’s worth watching on  ?

Phil

Which channel was the programme on?

On the Beeb, didn't see it but available on the iplayer.

About a coloured soldier, Arthur Roberts who joined the King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1917.

Mike.

3 hours ago, phil andrade said:

Phil

Yes! I found it a refreshing programme in terms of style (a mix of poetry, diary entries, archive footage, and talking heads etc.), and content - the voice of a 19 year old Scot and his art.

A Scottish Soldier: A Lost Diary of WWI

Thousands of black soldiers fought in the First World War. Poet Jackie Kay tells the story of one of them - Arthur Roberts. Arthur grew up in Glasgow and joined the King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1917. He fought at Ypres and kept a detailed diary, which gives us a unique account of the war. Arthur's evocative writing and sketches paint a vivid first-hand picture of life in the trenches. Like Arthur, Jackie Kay is a black Glaswegian, and she explores what it was like being black 100 years ago.

Have just seen it on the iplayer, well worth a look.  Arthur kept a nicely written and illustrated diary in the trenches.  The point is made that no coloured soldiers took part in the 1919 Peace Parade....

Mike.

Also watched some of 

WWI's Secret Shame: Shell Shock by you've guessed it Dan Ubiquitous Snow. Worth watching as it covers more than TGW,  claims to delve into previously unseen archives, and I must admit is very moving - even Dan wept.

Edited by TGM

11 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Have just seen it on the iplayer, well worth a look.  Arthur kept a nicely written and illustrated diary in the trenches.  The point is made that no coloured soldiers took part in the 1919 Peace Parade....

Mike.

Not surprising that no black soldiers were involved given Taranto and the 1919 - Race Riots - many were shipped back (under guard in some cases) and/or imprisoned. 1919 is a very important year for those with mixed heritage, and like me with ancestors who were stationed at Taranto. 

Edited by TGM

20 minutes ago, TGM said:

Yes! I found it a refreshing programme in terms of style (a mix of poetry, diary entries, archive footage, and talking heads etc.), and content - the voice of a 19 year old Scot and his art.

A Scottish Soldier: A Lost Diary of WWI

Here's the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/As-Good-Any-Man-Scotlands-ebook/dp/B00JTJE9DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542370963&sr=8-1&keywords=as+good+as+any+man

Sorry but I am still shuddering from the BBC trailers for Sundays "Rememberance Service"

1 hour ago, TGM said:

Also watched some of 

WWI's Secret Shame: Shell Shock by you've guessed it Dan Ubiquitous Snow. Worth watching as it covers more than TGW,  claims to delve into previously unseen archives, and I must admit is very moving - even Dan wept.

Sadly, anything with Danny Boy in creates an unbeatable urge to swear loudly at the TV, so I'll give it a miss. I also disapprove of presenters crying. I want objectivity, not crocodile tears.

Thanks, pals, for information about A Scottish Soldier.

I’ll give it a go on the iplayer.

I was a bit circumspect because I associate it with a song  I remember mum listening to nearly sixty years ago !

Phil

Ghastly, wasn't it?

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Sadly, anything with Danny Boy in creates an unbeatable urge to swear loudly at the TV, so I'll give it a miss. I also disapprove of presenters crying. I want objectivity, not crocodile tears.

To be fair to Danny Boy (I like it) - it was rather discrete with a tear coming down the right cheek which may not have been observed my many...

On objectivity - yes agree, though IMHO I'm not sure how a G-G-GS of Lloyd George can be really that objective. His programme about LG some years ago made no mention of LG's early pro-Hitler utterances.

Edited by TGM
typos

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Ghastly, wasn't it?

Personally, I always found it quite touching.