Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Medal (or is it?)

Foster

My grandfather BEF Hall (1894-1976) fought in WW1 with the East Surrey Regiment and was awarded the 1914/15 Star, Victory and Bronze oak leaf (in our possession).  Amoungst these medals was the one pictured below.  I’ve been researching it but have drawn a blank and I’d be very grateful for any help.  After his war service he continued with the Chinese Maritime Customs.  He had many hobbies which I’m slowing going through to check it’s not related to one of them. 

6324CFE7-7B46-45AB-9F91-590E75C19FB4.jpeg

Beautiful medal! A bit of professional cleaning (it looks like tarnished silver), and it will be even more beautiful.

First hunch is Oriental, although I don't recognise the (very stylised) center panel.

Tried to run that center panel through imagesearch, but all I got was hordes of manholecovers....:unsure:

Japanese? I' don't think a "dead" tree trunk on a medal is considered a very auspicious sign in China?

Red, white/silver. blue: Korea?

Thank you JWK, it is quite special isnt it.  The closest I’d found was Japan’s Order of the Sacred Treasure.  Struggling with the ribbon too.  Just checking Spanish medals as there are similarities.....  He kept a diary for 60 odd years - haven’t found mentions in there either

Found a slightly less fancy version on a Hong Kong coin auction site, could maybe guess that this might be a class higher, here is the description........

"China: Finance Ministry Decoration Second Class (blue enamel on rays). in silver-gilt and enamels, Rev Chinese maker's stamps and numbered '30', 66mm (B Barac 173)."

No doubt that this is one of the five classes of Finance Ministry Decoration. http://wawards.org/oldsite/azia/kit/kit2/11/medal.html

The parent agency of the Chinese Maritime Customs was the Finance Ministry.

The one in the HK auction went for 1,100 US$.

image.png.3d88d5df88f1836d8d0b6ec05843c236.png

image.png.1ebe610b92d7ab047a161c8039a767b3.png

Your grandfather also wrote a short book, republished here:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/history/customs/papers/occasionalpaper5.pdf

There is some very interesting material  at the back of this - a biography and an autobiography.

Noel

Edited by nhclark

I cant thank you enough especially nhclark & alasdairW - you’ve solved the puzzle and pointed me in the right direction.  In all his diaries  or autobiographies etc there was never any mention of receipt of this decoration.  I wondered too if it had been handed to him through the family as so many other artifacts have (a pair of Epaulettes from Napoleon....!) but this makes sense and I’ll research the nitty gritty now.  Thank you again