Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Ref.

theodore

I have a map ref (well part but no sheet number etc.) of 28.H.11.b.9.4. I know its not much to go on but if any member can help to locate where this position actually is it would be most appreciated. Just another small piece of info is that it could be west of Ypres near a Chateau  (possibly along or just off the Vlamertinghe - Ypres Road). 

Regards

Peter

I think you do have the sheet number, it's sheet 28!

This is more or less due west from Ypres, maybe 1000-1500 yards. There is a moated structure on the map but not named even on 1:10,000.

TEW

Theodore,

A wellknown place. A while ago I wrote an article about it for our local magazine. (Because there were two Shot at Dawns there, now buried at White House cemetery, Sint-Jan near Ypres)

However it is so wellknown that ... I can't remember the name. I mean : it does / did have a name, even before WW1, "Seminariekasteel", but on some trench maps it shows a name it seems. Bear with me. I'll find ... my article.  :-)

The postwar building is still there. As a matter of fact, the post war renovated construction.

Do you want a photo of how it looked like right after WW1 ? Let me know.

Aurel

Seminariekasteeltje trench map.jpg

Theodore,

Found it : Bobstay Castle (but rarely mentioned I think on Trench Maps. And I don't ... remember (!) where I found that name.)

Aurel

Thank you all for your most helpful replies.

Aurel does the cross on the map show the exact spot?  A photo would be very much appreciated. 

Regards

Peter

Theodore,

Yes, where my two lines cross is 28.H.11.b.9.4

Mind you, this is a square of 45 metres x 45 metres..

And if my information is correct, then imagine that square as the one of which the point where the two lines cross as the bottom left corner of the square.

But of course we do not know if the man who made the co-ordinates was accurate...

Photo in a posting after this, soon.

Edward1,

Thanks. I didn't know about Crowjack and Supper. Are these respectively the moated Farm just west of Bobstay Castle (Seminariekasteel) and the one north of it ?

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
typo

Aurel, the double moated area North of Bobstay is , nearest Crojack,  furthest Scupper farms, the moated area West may be  part of Goldfish Chateau

Seminariekasteel - sounds like a place where priests were trained?  "Bobstay" seems an unusual translation.

Aurel - thanks again for the "mini tour" back in August - Rob.

Edward1,

Thanks, that's clear now (I should have read "above" in your posting !  :-(

Rob,

Correct, Property of the Ypres bishops, and where trainee priests found a place to ... well, I don't know. Come to peace and serenity ?  :-) But that was before approx. 1800. Then 'cnofiscated' by the anticlerical authorities and sold to a French nobleman. But the name remained.

Bobstay ... Strange name ... My English > Dutch dictionary says : Bobstay = Dutch "waterstag". But not understanding that Dutch word, I had to find it is some part of a boat ? Is there a link to "seminariekasteeltje"?

And now I will try to find what "Crojack" means ... A person's name ?

Aurel

PS (added 5 minutes later) I found Bobstay and Crojack (Wikipedia). Both nautical terms. It was wonderful to read :

Cro'jack or crossjack

a square yard used to spread the foot of a topsail where no course is set, e.g. on the foremast of a topsail schooner or above the driver on the mizzen mast of a ship rigged vessel.

But if you think I understand, you sure are overestimating my intellectual capacities. (No, do not even try to explain !  :-)  )

Edited by Aurel Sercu
adding PS