Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inoculation Record. DLI.

Upt'North

Good afternoon. 

Could you help please re the inoculation record for my great uncle, Josiah Kinsey of the DLI. 

My uncle was in the second battalion and was posted to Ireland in 1907 namely Cork. 

His inoculation record shows he had anti typhoid inoculations on the 16 03 07 and 25 03 07 on the Troopship S.S.Assaye, these were administered by Lt.Col.Raine.

So the question is, what was he doing on H. M. Troopship Assaye if he was in Ireland. 

Was it used for billets. 

Was it used for medical purposes. 

Was he in Ireland at all. 

Would you get anti typhoid injections in Ireland.

Any assistance would be welcomed, I know the ship was used for troop movements in 1907 but nothing more. 

Thanks in anticipation. 

Upt'North. 

Edited by Upt'North

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Ships/HMTroopshipAssaye.html

she seems to have been laid up in between troopship uses after an unfortunate collision in the Solent - being repaired until 06. Perhaps they didn't trust her for full service, so had towed her in for use as a floating hulk until she was completely fixed.

Her logs for the relevant years aren't in the National Archives.

Thanks for that seaJane, so still a mystery really why my GG Uncle was inoculated on this ship apparently in Ireland. Just seems a little strange. But I suppose medical officers and drugs had to be transported somehow. 

Thanks. 

Upt'North.