Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Battalions

Hollytree

Please push this elsewhere if i have posted in wrong topic. 

A simple question, I hope, what is the role in WW1 of a service battalion? Is it just that? Doing all the sh*t jobs? Or is that too simplistic

Taeverso

Anne

26 minutes ago, Hollytree said:

Please push this elsewhere if i have posted in wrong topic. 

A simple question, I hope, what is the role in WW1 of a service battalion? Is it just that? Doing all the sh*t jobs? Or is that too simplistic

Taeverso

Anne

They were infantry battalions formed for the duration of the war. They were used in the same way as any other infantry.

Craig

Swansea Battalion (14 Welsh) was a service battalion. It was a fighting unit. Mametz Wood, Third Ypres and the advance to victory.

Bernard

A look in Long Long trail n woul dgive you a clue, I| am a bit offended by your ''

Doing all the sh*t jobs? Or is that too simplistic''

Sorry if I have upset/offended not meant to, my friends grandfather was one of Swansea pals, survived, but had a traumatic time as did all the men. 

The "Service" battalions were the means by which the existing Regular Army was expanded to put more men onto the field of battle. For example, My local Sherwood Foresters started with 2 regular battalions out the outbreak of war. Service battalions were added to increase the strength of the fighting force that was deployed into theatres of war. This initially took shape from Kitcheners request for volunteers for a "New Army". The first such Army to be raised (known sometimes as K1) was the home of the 1st Service Bn. of the Foresters - their 9th Bn.

They were numbered as the 9th because it was the first "vacant" number. The pre-war structure already having.....

1st - Regulars

2nd - Regulars

3rd - Reserve

4th - Reserve

5th - Territorial

6th - Territorial

7th - Territorial

8th - Territorial

Has that helped?

Cheers,

Mike