Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 was ended by a wave of revolutions.

Skipman

Something that illustrates what was happening after 11/11/18.

A small selection of 1/144 aircraft models used in combat from 1914-1920.

This omits many significant wars such as the War for Turkish Independence, and various conflicts involving revolutionary governments in Eastern Europe.

FB_IMG_1503979444367.jpg

In Forgotten Victory, Gary Sheffield quotes Ian Kershaw as saying, “Unrest at home was a consequence, not a cause, of military failure (p.256).” They were striking because the German state was crumbling as a result of their impending defeat.

The gentleman in the video convieniently leaves out the major offensives of 1918 that battered the Germans into seeking peace. I’m also unsure how the 1917 French mutiny factored into ending the war, as they regrouped and fought throughout 1918. 

Edited by DoughboyFighter

The naval blockade by the Royal Navy was a also a very significant factor in the cracking of the German home front. Food and raw material shortages played a big part in provoking the revolution. 

And nicely playing to the Nazi line that Germany was stabbedin the back by revolution at home, rather than having been militarily defeated.

A very one-eyed view of history. Who is he, anyway?

The video is from a Scottish news website called CommonSpace. From its website, I think he's a journalist called David Jamieson, who 'writes about culture and ideology in modern Scotland.'

Whoever he is, he seems to be using a distorted view of history to make current political points, so I'll say no more.

https://www.commonspace.scot/authors/david-jamieson

I think that the "wave of revolutions" (which in any case seemed to have been restricted to the Central Powers, plus Russia) were the consequence of the end of the war, rather than the cause. These revolutions were directed at systems of more absolutist monarchies, and generally did not affect democracies, whether republics or constitutional monarchies.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Russia's poor performance, and ultimate revolution allowed the Germans to free up 30 divisions to bring to the 1918 spring offensive. Had that offensive succeeded, the German Navy would never have revolted. 1.2 million fresh Americans brought the end about, amongst other factors. The political tipping point was only reached by military action and losses. He seems to try to paint with a broad brush.