Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

117 Railway Company RE

sleeper

Just thought I would post an image that has recently come to light of a relative.

Harry Tyson was part of 117 Railway Company Royal Engineers in Salonika building Railways.

He was employed by the the Furness Railway as  a plate layer before and after the war.

Does anyone know if the Imperial War Museum is interested in  pictures such as this for their archives.

BALKANS HARRY.jpg

Mark, thanks.  Just to say that I am a Trustee of the British Overseas Railways Historical Trust and the Trust would be interested in having  a copy of the photo for our archives.  Do you have any other info about Harry?

117 Coy left Longmoor on 23rd August, 1915 and sailed from Avonmouth for Mudros on 24th August and arrived at Mudros on 11th Sept.  They constructed a railway on Mudros and sent a detachment to Gallipoli,  They left Mudros for Salonika on 11th January, 1916 arriving there the next day.  Work undertaken was railway construction on both Standard and narrow gauges.  Their last big job was the repair of the main line especially the Vetrina Bridge across the Struma River at the Rupel Pass.  The Company was disbanded by 31st March, 1919, or at least that is when the War Diary ends.  

It is highly unlikely that the War Diary contains any reference to Harry, in general War Diaries do not mention ORs unless under specific circumstances.  

Possibly another place to ask would be the RE Museum at Chatham.

Julian

Hi many thanks for this yes his war record pretty much ties in with what you have said I'll get a copy and post on here.

He was mentioned in despatches also on his record but have been unable to find out why so far. I will get a better copy for you.

You will be extremely unlikely to find out why he was Mentioned in Despatches.  

Julian

He contacts malaria during 1917 and from then on has a number of admittances to hospital during the summer months.  Appointed L/Cpl paid on1st December, 1917, had UK leave in Nov/Dec 1916, returning to the unit in Jan 1917.

As for the MID General Milnes Despatch covers the period from 1st Oct 1918 to 1st March, 1919 after the Bulgarians had surrendered, I suspect that the MIDs listed are more a way of thanking men who had worked exceptionally hard, and who might in the ordinary course of events been promoted, but with the end of war would be discharged, but their officers thought that some additional recognition was merited.  The Despatch said that Gen Milne wished to bring their names to His Majesty's notice for distinguished and gallant conduct.  Looking at the War Diary there is no mention of raids by brigands, etc., so I suspect that he had worked hard and taken on more than was expected for a man of his rank. The War Diary did say that in early March, 1919 the Company books and records were put before a Board of Officers to decide what should be kept etc.  

I have tried looking up the criteria for MID but came up with little.  

Given his record says that he was sent home on 1st March, I think he left the Company in late Feb, 1919, but the War Diary does not record dates for men leaving.  

Julian