Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Osborne died 3rd July 1917 served in 51st Coy Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

David Osborne

My Great Great Uncle William Osborne was only 19 years old when he died in France. His service No. 71739. He is buried at Bailleul Road East Cemetery St Laurent-Blangy.

There is a memorial at St Paul's Church, Carlton, Nottingham.

I have very limited information other than this and was wondering if anyone could guide me to where I might be able to gain some insight into the events leading to his death?

Kind Regards

David Osborne 

Commonwealth War Graves Commision William Osborne.png

carlton nottingham war memorial William Osborne.jpg

Graves Registration Report Form William Osborne 3rd July 1917.jpg

David,

The war diary for 51 MG Company on this date states:

'At 10.15 am Cork Trench heavily shelled, one gun team No 15 being killed; 3636 Sgt Ambrose, WE, 49947 Pte Hindle, H, 90036 Pte Borton, H; 71739 Pte Osborne, W,  57352 Mogg, SHE.'

Cork Trench was south of Gavrelle, NE of Arras.

The war diary can be downloaded here for £3.50  - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352940.  It is also available on Ancestry if you are a subscriber.

Kind regards

Colin

Thank you Colin. That is extremely helpful, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

I had been reading up and was puzzled by the date of their deaths - as it seemed to be between the dates of the battles of Messines and the Third Battle of Ypres, so I guess they were just a little unlucky? 

Kindest Regards

David

David,

In case Colin does not see this, open the link, click 'add to basket' on the right, then 'continue to basket' on the next page, then 'checkout' on the next page.

You then have to enter your e-mail address and click the box to accept the terms and conditions and then 'submit order and on the next page, pay.

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

William is also my Great-Uncle... so we must be cousins. My Dad was Terence Alan Osborne.

Do you still have the War Diary? Any photos?

Regards, Andy

• 1 month later...

David has not been on site since 15/11 try sending him a message by clicking on his avatar and then click on message

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2019 at 07:18, Mark1959 said:

David has not been on site since 15/11 try sending him a message by clicking on his avatar and then click on message

Done. Thanks :-)

On 15/01/2019 at 07:18, Mark1959 said:

Done. Thanks :-)

I've added the 1917 trench map... clearly shows CORK trench... it was in Cork Trench that William was killed.

Gavrelle Map 1917 and Present.png

• 5 months later...

Visited William 10th August 2019

Pte Bordon in Sunken Road Cemetery. All other headstones in Baillieul Road East Cemetery x

FB_IMG_1565559548405.jpg

FB_IMG_1565540153231.jpg

20190811_224513.jpg

FB_IMG_1565540139987.jpg

FB_IMG_1565540206232.jpg