Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

May have been asked before - where best to put my money??

MrEd

Hello all, long time away from the forum but life changes now mean i can perhaps pick up family research again.

I was wondering, where is best to put my money for an online subscription service?

ancestry.com?

findmypast?

IWM lives of the first world war service?

another service i dont know about?

I am looking to trace mainly WW1 soldiers (x4) in more detail but also follow up 2 of them overseas after the war. 

i would like to look at WW2 records aswell, and death certificates to clear up some questions about how/when/why people died.

Answers on a post card please!

thanks

Ed

5 minutes ago, MrEd said:

Hello all, long time away from the forum but life changes now mean i can perhaps pick up family research again.

I was wondering, where is best to put my money for an online subscription service?

ancestry.com?

findmypast?

IWM lives of the first world war service?

another service i dont know about?

I am looking to trace mainly WW1 soldiers (x4) in more detail but also follow up 2 of them overseas after the war. 

i would like to look at WW2 records aswell, and death certificates to clear up some questions about how/when/why people died.

Answers on a post card please!

thanks

Ed

Ancestry and F.M.P both offer a 14 day trial; Your local library will likely have a sub to one or the other. 

Ancestry get my vote if you're set on a subscription, then double check for additional records using the 14 day free F.M.P. access. 

• Admin

There is no subscription service which offers death certificates.  These can be obtained from the General Register Office who have recently introduced a pdf service for family historians which is slightly less expensive 

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

As to the family history sites sound advice above, and you’re right it has been discussed many times before, forum search is your friend

Ken

Post WW1 service is very difficult. See the advice on the National Archives website.  Officers serving post Great War can be tracked through Army and Navy lists, otherwise I don't think there is much available. (Happy to be corrected).

Keith

4 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Post WW1 service is very difficult. See the advice on the National Archives website.  Officers serving post Great War can be tracked through Army and Navy lists, otherwise I don't think there is much available. (Happy to be corrected).

Keith

Very little post ww1, but I find the newspaper section of find my past very useful, providing a wealth of little snippets that can sometimes join some of the dots for all periods, But on other records ancestry can offer more original records rather than just transcripts.

Dave.

Thanks all that sound great, ancestry it is then for WW1 records and I shall look into the PDF option for later BDM details. 

I have 3 relatives who were in ww1 and they all died in woolwich between 1941-42 and I wonder why - they weren’t not soldiers at that time. 

Thanks all

ed

If you know their names, look for them in CWGC under WW2 and civilian deaths, if air raid they should be listed.

1 minute ago, seaJane said:

If you know their names, look for them in CWGC under WW2 and civilian deaths, if air raid they should be listed.

Brilliant idea, didn’t think of that..... I do know their names and other details!