Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Patrick Conway

The Viking

Good evening 

I am new to the forum so I do apologise if this is in the wrong section.

My great grandfather George Patrick Conway born in Tullamore Ireland in 1883  served with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers service number 6584, he lived at 59 church street thurnscoe in Yorkshire at the time of his service, I have no idea where he served or when he signed up, I do know he was discharged on the 17.1.1916 due to receiving a gun shot wound to the head and after his recovery became  a lamp man in the colliery.

In 1929 after loosing two sons in the 2nd world war George sadly committed suicide with a razor to his throat, his wife found him on the kitchen floor of there home, in an interview given by her she explained how he never mentioned taking his own life before but had received an head injury during the war and she believed this may have contributed to his death.

I have found it difficult to find much documentation on his service this may be due to me been an armature ,in the last two days I have found a document which I have attached, the service number I had seen before on varies sites but wasn't sure about it for more than 5 month as I just had no concrete proof that it was attached to him there where nothing to link it to him at all until I found the document which has the address he was living at in that year, I find it hard to read the writing so if any could translate I would be more than grateful. I have also a picture of George with other solders with a bandage on his head I believe this may be a hospital he was in ? again I can not find anything to see where he was sent for recovery,  have a lot of unanswered questions and can not wait to find more photographs of him maybe in his uniform. i thank you all in advance :)

george conway army card.PNG

George in recovery after gun shot wound .jpg

This I believe is a form to do with his service pension - I think they have recently been released on the Ancestry fold3 site.1914 St

System just lost the rest of my post - again

Silver War Badge roll - shows enlisted 27/5/1902.

Medal Rolls show to France 26/8/1914. 1914 Star and Clasp, British War and Victory Medal

Can find a scrap of an admission record for a medical facility somewhere. 29/11/14. For "PM Tympani" - an ear problem

Appear on a War Office Casualty List dated 12/10/1915

No service papers I can find

Edited by Mark1959

• 1 month later...

So recently I downloaded a diary for the 5th lancers from the national archives there is also a part for the 5th Royal Irish lancers are they both separate regiments or the same one  ? 

No the 5th Royal Irish Lancers and 5th Lancers are the same Regiment, now exist as 'The Queens Royal Lancers.

Tony P

The photo appears to show the injured wearing hospital blues.

Simon

Thanks tony p for clearing that up much appreciated.

I believe your right mancpal looking at Google photo it looks dead on. The picture isn’t very good the only one the family have I believe the location of the picture would have been at champ de courts I should imagine as her was at 12 general hospital which later the Americans took over. Also looking at the pic it was of a bigger group picture. 

Edited by The Viking

• 1 year later...

Hi guys again rather than start a new post i thought id post here. after a long search and having a lot of  time on my hands with the current situation using the admission date provided by a helpful member previously on this post thanks again, which was the 29th Nov 1914 putting this along side an entry in the war diary his unit was in Billets (which i believe was a living quarter ?) in  Doulieu from 21st Nov to Dec 31st so does this mean he was possibly injured in that place ? or way before that ? i am a little confused how long would it have been before he was admitted from his injury ? would they have been a casualty evacuation chain from there ?

Edited by The Viking

On 18/11/2020 at 20:16, The Viking said:

hi sad brewer thanks for the reply he was yes they are buried in the same grave in thurnscoe after George committed suicide 

Screenshot_20201120-181409.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi a very long shot I think but where would I find this letter from Stanley ? I also believe they carried a letter if they passed sadly after he left the war camp he passed away in wigan

• 6 months later...

hi all reviewing the post again after a while i am interested in trying to get the medals of my grandfather or a copy made can i apply for them from the MOD ? he received

Silver War Badge
Star and Clasp 
British War 
Victory Medal

Edited by The Viking

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

hi all reviewing the post again after a while i am interested in trying to get the medals of my grandfather or a copy made can i apply for them from the MOD ? he received

Silver War Badge
Star and Clasp 
British War 
Victory Medal

Hi,

If he received the medals listed then U.K. MOD won’t issue duplicates. You will have to buy unnamed duplicates. I’m not sure if duplicate SWB are sold commercially.

Steve

Hi Steve thank you for you reply. I don't know if he did claim them how would I find this out ? Do I ask the mod ?

If he didn't I may well get them which would be amazing, if he did then I will just have to try and find some and get his name and number put on them for my small display.

I should imagine he did claim them where they would be now I wouldn't know, i have looked on Google and eBay to try trace some listed with his name and number but no success.

Thanks again.