Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tanks by Albert G. Stern?

Wayne Harris

I wondered if anyone could clarify whether the 2 books available from the above author are the same? “Tanks 1914-1918The Log-Book Of A Pioneer: Tanks 1914-1918The Log-Book Of A Pioneer” looks like the original, and has been reprinted in PB. There is also a book called “Tanks 1914-1918; the Development of Allied Tanks and Armoured Warfare During the Great War” by the same author, and I want d to establish if they are the same book?

Thankyou

I have checked Worldcat, the Library of Congress, the British Library, COPAC and several other national library catalogues (in order of puzzlement), and can only find "The log-book of a Pioneer", 1919 with a 2010 paperback reprint.

This leads me to think that the one with the longer subtitle is what we call a "ghost reference" - perhaps whoever cited it wrote down the main title followed by a brief description of its subject, and then copied both bits into the bibliography by mistake.

sJ

PS if you can point me at the reference to the longer subtitle I'll see if anything else springs to mind.

I suspect Leonaur have republished the book but tweaked the title, presumably to give it greater appeal to a modern audience.  They (and other publishers) seem to do this quite often.  The original is available at archive.org: https://archive.org/details/tankslogbookofpi00ster/page/n5

John

"I suspect Leonaur have republished the book but tweaked the title, presumably to give it greater appeal to a modern audience"

I agree with that comment based on personal experience. When 'Pioneers of Australian Armour' was published by Bigsky in Australia, the title reflected the content, but when re-published by Pen & Sword in the UK last year, the title was shortened to 'Pioneers of Armour'. The authors had no say in this change.

Mike 

Certainly the absence of the Leonaur publication from catalogues suggests that everyone else who might be interested has realised it's the same book and they have it already :) .