Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry 10th batallion

Hello, 

A relative of mine fell on 16/09/1916, I suspect at Flers- Courcellette. I believe he was part of the 10th Batallion (Durham Light Infantry). I'm struggling to find any specific details of their action on that day but would appreciate any help. I believe they were the first to be supported by tanks and the first to face flamethrowers. 

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Forum !

It would be useful to have his name for a chance of good help to you.

10 DLI were a part of 43 Infantry Brigade of 14 Division, and did fight at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette from 15-22 Sept 1916.

They did not have a comfortable time there, losing around 400 men killed/wounded/missing at this time, whilst they were attacking GIRD TRENCH.

The unit War Diary is downloadable here for a fee of £3.50:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017572

or if you have access to Ancestry UK you can find it by using keyword 1907/3 in the France and Germany War Diary section.

There is a narrative of operations for the 16th in the Battalion war diary and Brigade war diary. I am afraid that the tanks did not help the 14th Division really, the division suffered the highest casualties of Flers/Courcelette when the Guards Division got held up in their attack on the 14th Divisions right.

Andy 

DSC00874.JPG

His name was Erwin Nicholson regimental number 30765. He was from Nelson in Lancashire. Signed up around mid June 16. It's beginning to look like he faced the machine guns and went down with 400 other poor souls.

Thank you for the assistance, much appreciated.

• 2 years later...
On 13/11/2018 at 15:12, Guest said:

His name was Erwin Nicholson regimental number 30765. He was from Nelson in Lancashire. Signed up around mid June 16. It's beginning to look like he faced the machine guns and went down with 400 other poor souls.

Thank you for the assistance, much appreciated.

I Found these references:

Previously reported Wounded, now reported Wounded and Missing

20/11/1916 DT21111916
29/10/1916 DT30101916
11/09/1916 DT12091916