Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Narrative of HMS Caradoc 1917-1920"

nhclark

Does anyone have access to this narrative, authored (at least Part III) by Surgeon Lieutenant-Commander E.L. Markham, which I believe was published in the Naval Review in three parts in 1921 (volume 4) and 1922 (volumes 1 and 2). It covers the involvement of the Caradoc in the Black Sea during Britain's involvement in South Russia in the Russian Civil War. 

I can't seem to find any on-line access to this publication and would greatly like to obtain a copy.

Thank you

Noel

Noel,

Have sent a message to your profile.

sJ

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

Noel,

Have sent a message to your profile.

sJ

Thank you sJ. I have responded accordingly.

Noel

HMS Caradoc under Captain William Kerr, RN, as part of 6th Light Cruiser Squadron, took part in operations against the Bolshevik Red Navy Fleet in Kronstadt Harbor in the Eastern Baltic (including bombardment of Red positions ashore in Estonia) from November 1918-December 1919 before transfer to the RN Black Sea Fleet.

Caradoc was present on the occasion of the mining and sinking of sister ship HMS Cassandra in the Eastern Baltic on 5th December 1918.

Noel,

Did you receive my latest message to your profile?

Best wishes,

sJ

• 6 months later...

I too would like to obtain this narrative.  My Grandfather Harry Green (RMLI) was assigned to HMS Carodoc from 21st May 1920 to 12th Aug 1920 and 13th August to 2nd Sept 1920 'on passage' to 'Portsmouth Division'.  Thanks, Martin Green  

And I, if it's possible. My grandfather was AB George Sinclair from Coatbridge; he served in HMS Caradoc during her time in the Baltic. 

Cheers, Pat.