Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V.D.R.S. or V.W.R.S.?

Buffnut453

A relative's military service record shows him being admitted into the casualty system in late-1915 due to influenza.  He was admitted to 142 Field Ambulance and then 7 Field Ambulance on 3 Dec 1915, then to 50 Casualty Clearing Station, Hazebrouck, on 5 Dec 1915.  Then on 11 Dec he was admitted to another unit/organization which could be V.W.R.S. or V.D.R.S. before rejoining his unit on 14 Dec 1915.

770057106_VWRSorVDRSClipOut.jpg.7c9a8e964857f4aae7ad6ce310485d94.jpg

Anyone out there in GWF know what my unidentified unit/organization might be?

Many thanks,
Mark

Hi Ken,

You may be right.  I wondered if it was a rest/recuperation facility.  I've googled all sorts of things to try and find the meaning of the acronym, alas to no avail.

Maybe an expert will be along soon to put me out of this particular misery. :)

Kind regards,

Mark

2 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

I wondered if it was a rest/recuperation facility.  I've googled all sorts of things to try and find the meaning of the acronym, alas to no avail.

Maybe an expert will be along soon to put me out of this particular misery. :)

Mark

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think you’ll find your VDRS or VWRS is actually 3DRS or 3rd Division Rest Station.  The purpose of Divisional rest stations was to look after the sick and lightly wounded for a number of days, usually no more than about ten at most, before returning them to their unit.

Steve

1 hour ago, SteveE said:

Mark

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think you’ll find your VDRS or VWRS is actually 3DRS or 3rd Division Rest Station.  The purpose of Divisional rest stations was to look after the sick and lightly wounded for a number of days, usually no more than about ten at most, before returning them to their unit.

Steve

Steve,

You absolutely bliddy star!  I wouldn't have got that in a month of Sundays but i think you're bang on the money.  There's a slight but definitely kink in the downstroke of the 'V'.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Mark