Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medals

Roger123

Hello Everyone,

Please could anyone help?

i think i have brought a trio of 1 of my great great relations ww1 medals, The name is G. Thornby 15532 Coldstream Guards. The problem is I have tried to find his address, just before he signed up. I have just joined Ancestry but I’m just going around in circles. Would there be a record of his home address when he signed up? 

Any help at all would be great.

Thank You.

Roger.

Roger,

Yes, soldiers had to give their address on enlisting, but the question will be if it survives.  A large number of Army Records were destroyed in WW2.  No doubt a Coldstream expert will be along to help.

But in the meantime try searching on Ancestry with just his name, once you get the list of results you can filter out by using edit search things you do not immediately need, so in collections just highlight UK and Ireland, which should bring down the number of results, then try military records.

By doing that I found his MIC for the 1915 Star saying date of entry into theatre 21/12/15 France

If you know anything else about him, add it on here to aid indentification

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

Cant add much apart from he probably enlisted 24th  / 25th February 1915

Edited by Coldstreamer

Weren't the Coldstream records kept at a different location  to Arnside? So isn't there a chance his service record survives elsewhere?

Haven’t they gone to Glasgow, I’m sure Coldstreamer would know.

Den

Well I have to make an apology as I have just been on the Guards Museum site and according to them the Coldstream Guards records are still at Wellington Barracks, London.

Den

Try find him on the 1911 census and then again on the 1939 register.  If it's the same address or same area may give you an idea as to where he was - not a difinitve address but an 'area' possibly.

If he enlisted at the beginning of 1915 that was early enough for some local newspapers to still be naming individuals who enlisted so if you have an area of where he might have been that may be another lead.

Was he from Kent, as 95% of Thornby’s were according to Freebmd, there is a George Thomas Thornby born (Bridge reg dist) 1875, he is the only George who would fit.

Den

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2018 at 18:33, TTracer44 said:

Well I have to make an apology as I have just been on the Guards Museum site and according to them the Coldstream Guards records are still at Wellington Barracks, London.

Den

they moved the records out for certain

Hi All

Roger, who were your relaions?

?? George Thornby, b. 1874 Braebourne, Kent, 1881 census Thornbee, 1891..Thornley, 1901 ..Thorsby, 1911..Thornby.   All at Sealey Farm, West Braebourne, Kent. Married 1908 to Emily Coleman. He died  8th July,1953,  Sealey Farm....looking

Regards Barry

PM to Roger last visit 12th November......

Edited by The Inspector