Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was my Grandfather treated at Wimereux ???

Roger Bruton

When my father was taken ill in the late 1920's, his father, Reg Bruton who had served during WW1 in the 3rd Hussars, took him to Wimereux in France "for the sea air". It seems like it worked, as I am here to ask this question!

The question is, why on earth would he have taken him there? Was Reg treated there during the war for some reason? Do the records of those who were treated at Wimereux still exist? Where do I start looking? Does anyone have any clues for me?

Thanks in advance.

Walter Reginald BRUTON Private 4570 3 Hussars and 52443 MGC Cavalry landed in France on 25.8.1914 and was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve on 22.4.1919.

He has two entries in Forces War Records for 1914, which may be data about his campaign medals and it may have info on other matters such as hospital treatment.

WIMEREUX was a base for 11 Hospitals in 1914-1918, a mix of Military and British Red Cross. You might find that some Admission and Discharge Registers survive,they contained information on the soldier and his ailments. Alternatively your GF may have been visiting someone there, possibly with Sanatorium facilities ?

• 2 months later...
On 15/11/2018 at 23:25, sotonmate said:

Walter Reginald BRUTON Private 4570 3 Hussars and 52443 MGC Cavalry landed in France on 25.8.1914 and was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve on 22.4.1919.

He has two entries in Forces War Records for 1914, which may be data about his campaign medals and it may have info on other matters such as hospital treatment.

WIMEREUX was a base for 11 Hospitals in 1914-1918, a mix of Military and British Red Cross. You might find that some Admission and Discharge Registers survive,they contained information on the soldier and his ailments. Alternatively your GF may have been visiting someone there, possibly with Sanatorium facilities ?

Thanks for the input!! (sorry for not replying sooner!)

On 15/11/2018 at 23:25, sotonmate said:

Thanks for the post --- i've read that the 3rd Hussars arrived in Rouen on August 17th. I don't understand the reference to August 25th. I know he was at the retreat from Mons which would indicate he was in Mons before the 25th. Any thoughts???

25 August 1914 is the date shown on the Medal Index Card for his first landing in France.