Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA soldier Walter Edward Peterson Driver 3685

Wendy

HI

I am researching a soldier - Walter Edward Peterson - who was a driver with the RFA. His number is D3685. His medal card says he embarked on 15th July 1915 and the theatre of war was '2B Balkans' which I understand to be Gallipoli and the Dardanelles. He survived the war and was my husband's grandfather.

Can anyone tell me how I find out more about him? I am not sure which regiment he belonged to.  He was born in Bermondsey in 1896 but at the time of enlisting, he lived in Walthamstow. I think he would have belonged to the 54th (East Anglian) Division due to his home location and that they received instruction to leave Hemel Hempstead on the 14th July 1915, according to their war diary. 

Family legend had it that he spent the war as the personal groomsman of a senior officer and didn't see much action but I've no idea how true that is. His dad was a hackney carriage driver in London and supposedly that is why Walter (Wally) was selected to be a groom as he had knowledge of horses (but then so did many lads). 

Any information or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Wendy

Wendy,

Walter appears to be a New Army enlistment and not a Territorial (so not 54th Division). From Walter's number he would have joined in August or September 1914. His Medal Index Card gives a qualifying date of July 9, 1915 which actually corresponds with 56th Brigade RFA embarking at Devonport for Egypt and then Gallipoli. It is common with many RFA Medal Cards that the embarkation date is given, rather than the actual date of entry. If you can find other men in 56th Brigade RFA with the same qualifying date it would prove the point.

• 2 weeks later...