Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Armistice coverage

Hyacinth1326

Well the reporting in Dublin focussed on the Armistice commemorations in Dublin- Trump didn't turn up here either! 

Edited by Jervis

3 hours ago, Jervis said:

I am not a long time observer of Armistice commemorations . In fact I normally never watch it. But the disparity between the Paris and London event was very noticeable. The Paris Armistice event was attended by the heads of state of all the major and minor participants in the great war except the U.K.  The London event was attended by all major British leaders and no major head of state. Is there historical reasons for this?

Do you not think The Queen is a "major head of state?" Not to mention the German President.

43 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

I wasn't suggesting how people should mark the commemoration but reflecting the impossibility of being in two places at once.

OK Pub Quiz time 

How many times has the Queen not been present at the Armistice Remembrance Ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall during her reign?

Paris may have taken centre stage in the reporting in Dublin but not in the UK, or more correctly England which, as everyone in the 1920s knew won the war.

Macron wasn't there because he was in France, Paris had Merkel London had the President.  I'm sure POTUS or Putin would have been made welcome at the Cenotaph had they chosen to do so but there is no historical precedence for that.  I guess Heads of Government, or State can go to any ceremony they choose as noted by Steven above.

Ken

The Queen was present. She just didn't lay her wreath herself, the P of W did. Same as last year. And it's Rerembrance Sunday, nothing to do with the Armistice, except that it's held on the nearest Sunday to 11 November.

The President, as Head of State, outranks the Chancellor.

Acknown

The BBC fouled up a few of these in the past so I had low expectations. It seemed ok in that respect although it was trying much harder to reflect modern Britain than 1918 Britain, fair enough I suppose 

Some strange comments here! Remembrance Sunday is exactly that: to remember the war dead and a time for the remaining participants and public to gather for this remembrance. Around Gt Britain there are many, many smaller local events to do this but in London, our capital City, the Cenotaph is the main focal point for the British public, military, politicians and royalty to pay their respects. Whilst originally to commemorate the WW1 fallen it has taken on the responsibility of remembering all wars then and since, however, it has always been for Britain and the British, (including of course all the former Colonies too) Guests, such as the German President, are now welcome and the symbolic handshake was most important. But it is British. Other countries can have their own remembrance day, ours is the nearest Sunday to the 11th hour/11th day/11th month. While the WW1 dead pass into History there are plenty of others to also remember on this Sunday and I am sure (unfortunately) there will be many more.