Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Armistice coverage

Hyacinth1326

David Olusoga presenting the Compiegne/Mons film insert. He has already explained to Dimbleby that Germany was not defeated in the field in 1918.

Beeb wheeling out the big guns 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Turned on Andrew Marr show earlier and heard a guest say that of all the countries that fought in the war Germany was the least responsible for it ...  yeah right .

You could call it 'showcasing diverse opinion'. A TV producer would. I can't help but conclude that there are those who seek to re-invent history and the BBC is simply providing them with a platform to do so - without first testing their assertions.  

Edited by Hyacinth1326

5 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

David Olusoga presenting the Compiegne/Mons film insert. He has already explained to Dimbleby that Germany was not defeated in the field in 1918.

Beeb wheeling out the big guns 

4 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Turned on Andrew Marr show earlier and heard a guest say that of all the countries that fought in the war Germany was the least responsible for it ...  yeah right .

Did nobody challenge these statements?

Sadly no.  I was very surprised and not a little disheartened that neither Olusoga or Dimbleby  mentioned 8 August 1918 and all that followed but I suppose  Dimbleby had his work cut out playing anchorman for rest of the day's proceedings.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

They were actually Coldstream Guards, buttons in twos, though, at first glance, I thought Grenadiers.

PS That GSM Vern Stokes looks a formidable chap.:o

Edited by PhilB

I thought Stokes had left

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

Nope .

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

Steve - I didn't see it but a good guide is to count the buttons or look for the colour of the bearskin plume.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/identify-buckingham-palace-foot-guards-1583677

Acknown

I don't think that the greatcoats have differently-spaced buttons. The colour (or absence) of the plumes should clinch it.

Ron

4 hours ago, johnboy said:

Why did The Queen wear  so many poppies?

She's the Queen. All right?

In fairness with regard to my observation above, in the early evening coverage leading up to the Westminster Abbey David Olusoga didn't just mention 8th August success, he  emphasised that the Germans had been defeated in the field in this campaign.  He was most certainly at pains to correct that which had been said earlier.

16 hours ago, 593jones said:

Thank God you noticed that too !

I really couldn’t believe my ears.  It came as a shock.

I turned to my sister in law, and saw the same astonishment on her face.

I was so lost for words that I resorted to a gesture involving the rapid movement of my  clenched hand from side to side.

I’m not proud of doing that, especially in front of my wife’s sister, but it was a heartfelt form of comment on what I’d just heard, and issued forth almost involuntarily .

Maybe Clemenceau was wrong, and history WILL say that Belgium invaded Germany.

Phil

Dear All,

As I see it, certain Austrian staff officers take much of the blame - but without Prussian militarism, it could not have happened...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I am not a long time observer of Armistice commemorations . In fact I normally never watch it. But the disparity between the Paris and London event was very noticeable. The Paris Armistice event was attended by the heads of state of all the major and minor participants in the great war except the U.K.  The London event was attended by all major British leaders and no major head of state. Is there historical reasons for this?

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Jervis said:

I am not a long time observer of Armistice commemorations . In fact I normally never watch it. But the disparity between the Paris and London event was very noticeable. The Paris Armistice event was attended by the heads of state of all the major and minor participants in the great war except the U.K.  The London event was attended by all major British leaders and no major head of state. Is there historical reasons for this?

Britain was represented in Paris

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Was-UK-represented-at-Paris-Armistice-event

by David Lidington , who as Minister for the Cabinet Office is effectively the Deputy to the Prime Minister.  

Surely you're not suggesting the Queen as Head of State should not have been at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.  The social media storm in the current febrile political climate had the PM, who is the Head of the Government or the Queen, gone to Paris would have been cyclonic.  

All the British Representatives were where they needed to be on the 11th November and as pointed out in the article the British PM was with Macron on the previous Friday.

The major innovation (apart from the 'People's March) for the UK was the laying of a wreath by the German President, who later attended the Service of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey.  https://www.euronews.com/2018/11/11/german-president-lays-wreath-at-british-cenotaph-on-armistice-day

The symbolic handshake at the end of the service by both heads of state was regarded as a highly symbolic gesture of reconciliation.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Ken - I was not making any suggestions on how people should mark the commemorations (or not). 

I am more interested in how Paris took centre stage over London. Why was one of either Trump, Merkel, Putin, Macron et al not in London? i.e. was there a historical precedent or is it actually related to current political climate? 

On 11/11/2018 at 17:00, Coldstreamer said:

I thought Stokes had left

No that was GSM Mott Welsh Guards. Stokes has been in post a year now - I think.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Jervis said:

Ken - I was not making any suggestions on how people should mark the commemorations (or not). 

I am more interested in how Paris took centre stage over London. Why was one of either Trump, Merkel, Putin, Macron et al not in London? i.e. was there a historical precedent or is it actually related to current political climate? 

I wasn't suggesting how people should mark the commemoration but reflecting the impossibility of being in two places at once.

OK Pub Quiz time 

How many times has the Queen not been present at the Armistice Remembrance Ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall during her reign?

Paris may have taken centre stage in the reporting in Dublin but not in the UK, or more correctly England which, as everyone in the 1920s knew won the war.

Macron wasn't there because he was in France, Paris had Merkel London had the President.  I'm sure POTUS or Putin would have been made welcome at the Cenotaph had they chosen to do so but there is no historical precedence for that.  I guess Heads of Government, or State can go to any ceremony they choose as noted by Steven above.

Ken