Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did grandma get a pension ?

Jaje

One would say ‘no’ she didn’t, but odd that it has been worked out, and all appears to have been written at the same time by the same hand.

6 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

One would say ‘no’ she didn’t, but odd that it has been worked out, and all appears to have been written at the same time by the same hand.

Thanks Jay for your observation on it. Hard to tell if the first set of figures have been revised and she got one 

Hi,

Have you read the various WFA links that David Tattersfield has put in his recent posts in the below topic? It offers an explanation of some of the ledger entries.

From my limited knowledge I think it might be the ALternative Pension (AP) application that was disallowed.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

I was studying the cards last night. Even the ones were refused as ineligible, like this one, show the calculation.

The reason for this I expect is that alternative pensions had to meet a series of financial criteria so they did the actual calculation to check (and no doubt for future reference).

I have read a good bit on the pensions in the past as part of my war gratuity work but might need to take another read and get back up to speed.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

On 11/11/2018 at 08:23, tullybrone said:

From my limited knowledge I think it might be the ALternative Pension (AP) application that was disallowed.

Agreed.

Without seeing the full ledger for 'Grandma', it does look like this is going to be an APW case. Both ADP and APW cases were subject to application - and are explained here and here

Even if the Alternative pension was declined, 'Grandma' would still have had the 'original' pension paid to her. Whether or not the original letter survives is another question, but on the basis that APW cases would certainly have been applied for by widows, I can confirm that the 'W' (widows) ledgers are largely intact I'd expect there to be another ledger for grandma.

Hope this helps

David

• 3 weeks later...