Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very long shot!

My Grandfather, Frederick Shurmer served in the Great War. He was awarded the medals as per on the attached photo. 

Unfortunately the medals were lost in a house clearance back in the early 80’s.  

i would ideally ally love to find the medals for my mum. Is there any advice or if anyone would know where to start the search, I would be really appreciative. 

Hi Darren

Welcome to the Forum.

No photo attached, if you can post the regiment and his number, if you know it, then that's a start. There are a number of Frederick Shurmer's listed in different regiments. Failing that info. Date and place of birth, family details etc.  If you do know his number and regt. then you can leave a message on the Medal Index Card records stating your interest.

Regards Barry 

Hi Darren

firstly name, rank, serial number , 3 options

Frederick Shurmer    Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment, Div Cyclist Coy, Army Cyclist Corps, Army Service Corps 8547, 8547, 929, M/38521
Frederick Shurmer Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment F/2422
Frederick S Shurmer Army Ordnance Corps                         

if lost in a house clearance, your guess is as good as mine, might have been dumped, might have been saved by a lucky clearer who might have had an inkling as to possible value.

option 1: post an add on Britishmedal forum want list

option 2: post a watch on ebay search

option 3: for the time being, buy a new replacement trio from ebay or one of the militaria fairs as a filler.

option 4: get a list of local antiques and militari fairs and go round them..

option 5: post an advert in your local newspaper.

alternatively one or all of the above

first one is a 14star trio, 2nd and 3rd are just BWM/Victory pairs, so, if your picture has 3 medals its first option,or 2 medals then 2nd and 3rd. if he did not have a middle name initial S then rule out #3

on the other hand, there is a F Shurmer who had a South African 1899-1902 medal with the Wiltshire regt #1264, a possibility if young enough to have had the SA and a pair, but would probably have been the SA and trio if he continued service.....

Edited by chaz

Hi all, 

I’ll try again with the photo. I believe he was in the Warwickshire regiment and his service number was 12247. 

His first theatre of war was the Balklands on the 30/11/15   

Thank you for the guidance. 

Darren

51D9705A-BDF3-429D-ADCA-2937B67FE95A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darren

I presume someone in your family obtained his service number from the medals and not just from the MIC posted above. The Medal award rolls for the Brit/Vic for 12247 show he was in the 9th Bn. R. Warwickshire Regt. However this may not be the correct card. The Star medal award roll shows 12247 was posted to the reserves on 20.8.19.

Do you have any other information whatsoever regarding Frederick, if so if you post it then we can work from that information. Many soldiers come to light just from other family details....looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector