Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Roger Gann

Royal Flying Corps - Flag

Roger Gann

Hi, I've been trying to find what 'Flag' was used by the RFC from it's inception till 1st April 2018 when I understand it became the RAF by amalgamation with the Royal Naval Air Service. All I have been able to find is a reference to a flag with 2 dark blue horizontal bands top and bottom and a broad pale blue centre band in the middle which had a horizontal thin red stripe across it. In other words 5 horizontal bands of colour. Can anyone advise if Is this correct?

Flag_of_the_Royal_Flying_Corps.svg.png

Kev627

I found this picture on Google. 

gb-rfcp.jpg

Edited by Kev627

MikeMeech
4 hours ago, Roger Gann said:

Hi, I've been trying to find what 'Flag' was used by the RFC from it's inception till 1st April 2018 when I understand it became the RAF by amalgamation with the Royal Naval Air Service. All I have been able to find is a reference to a flag with 2 dark blue horizontal bands top and bottom and a broad pale blue centre band in the middle which had a horizontal thin red stripe across it. In other words 5 horizontal bands of colour. Can anyone advise if Is this correct?

Flag_of_the_Royal_Flying_Corps.svg.png

Hi

Peter G. Cooksley describes your image as the 'RFC Flag' on page 11 of his book 'The RFRC/RNAS Handbook 1914-18', he states the information was from Army Form B2095 C.

Mike

Moonraker
4 hours ago, Roger Gann said:

Hi, I've been trying to find what 'Flag' was used by the RFC from it's inception till 1st April 2018

1918, I think!

I believe that there was a difference when it came to usage between a flag and a pennant, the former being used ceremonially, the latter - PERHAPS - by a unit commander.

No doubt others have come across

this web page

Moonraker

Roger Gann

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.