Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice signing time

Hello. I recently read a very interesting thread on the time differences in WW1. Following from this I hope someone may be able to answer a question I have been pondering.

My understanding is that Armistice signing commenced at 05:00 and was completed at 05:20. My understanding also is that the UK, France and Belgium all operated on the same time. If these assertions are correct why are all commemoration events observed at 06.00? 

My only thought is that Marshall Foch made an official radio announcement at 06:01.

Any observations will be much appreciated.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum!

The Armistice was actually signed at around 05.10 but by general agreement, "five o'clock was agreed as the time of signing". This was to enable the terms of the Armistice would come into effect at exactly 11.00 (French time, which as you say was the same as British and Belgian time) on 11/11. It was noon using German time.

It is probably the same desire to adopt a standard precise commemoration that has resulted in the selection of 06.00. Or it could be just that 05.00 is a bit too early to ask civilians to get up, or that on 11/11 it is still too dark at 05.00!

Ron

Thank you Ron and for your warm welcome. I guess that the actual reason is lost in the mists of time but I shall enjoy trying to clarify the reason. Should I find an explanation I will share it with the forum.