Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
mikegibby

Stained glass

Recommended Posts

mikegibby

Can anyone please help? David McLeod Craik was a Scots architect living in Penang, Malaya who served in the RE between 1914-1918. He survived the War and returned to Penang where he built a bungalow. One of its windows has this design. The 2 saltires are a reference to him being Scots and his wife from N Ireland, but any thoughts on CX, LV and the red triangle? Thanks for any assistance!

P1180562.jpg.a4bb5edcfc63802dddcc47154ddd0a28.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RaySearching

CX =110           LV =45       in roman numerals

 

maybe there is a clue there

 

Ray

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
5 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

CX =110           LV =45       in roman numerals

 

maybe there is a clue there

 

Ray

 

I fear you've been robbed for a Tenner!

L-50. V-5 = 55:

 or was when I were a lad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RaySearching
1 minute ago, GWF1967 said:

I fear you've been robbed for a Tenner!

 

I stand corrected

 in my defence 4 is right next to 5 on my keyboard

to many thumbs not enough fingers

 

Ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
3 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

 

I stand corrected

 in my defence 4 is right next to 5 on my keyboard

to many thumbs not enough fingers

 

Ray

110 - 55 = 55. 

His other half!

Perhaps the red triangle is a division sign. 

Edited by GWF1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Owl
4 hours ago, mikegibby said:

Can anyone please help? David McLeod Craik was a Scots architect living in Penang, Malaya who served in the RE between 1914-1918. He survived the War and returned to Penang where he built a bungalow. One of its windows has this design. The 2 saltires are a reference to him being Scots and his wife from N Ireland, but any thoughts on CX, LV and the red triangle? Thanks for any assistance!

P1180562.jpg.a4bb5edcfc63802dddcc47154ddd0a28.jpg

Possibly RE as part of the 110th Brigade, 55th Division?

 

Only a thought...………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Interested

A red triangle (half a diamond) was the 29th Division badge apparently adopted by Sir Beauvoir de Lisle because of the importance of the diamond formation as an open fighting formation.

Perhaps the LLT site can tie all this together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...