Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fold3 database British WWI Wounded And Missing. Free for a few days

MaureenE

As fold3 has free access to some records until the end of 12 November 2018, you may wish to check out the database "British WWI Wounded And Missing" https://www.fold3.com/title/976/british-wwi-wounded-and-missing

The following description of these records is copied from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army. https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army#WW1_British_Red_Cross_.26_Order_Of_St_John_Enquiry_Lists_For_Wounded_And_Missing

Naval & Military Press have published a number of facsimile reprints[51]of British Red Cross & Order Of St John Enquiry List For Wounded And Missing. N&MP state the originals are held by the Department of Printed Books, The Imperial War Museum, “who hold the largest collection of these titles known to exist”, however the writer of this section could not locate any IWM catalogue reference, so it is unclear if they are still held by IWM. The Australian War Memorial Library holds copies, probably four, catalogued as Enquiry list : wounded and missing by British Red Cross and Order of St. John. (More details of these records.[52]). The reprints are available at The National Archives Library. Fold3, an Ancestry related pay website has a database "British WWI Wounded And Missing", which is stated to be sourced from the Naval & Military Press, but which reprints are included is not known. The records are stated to be a "List of wounded and missing British, Australian, Canadian, South African personnel in all theatres of war about whom enquiries have been made". Forces War Records, a pay website, contains a database consisting of the 1 August 1917 List. 

The data may possibly include regimental details not generally available elsewhere, such as Battery number for Royal Artillery soldiers.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you very much for highlighting this, Maureen. I have just found details for my relative that I did not know before.

"A" Company and "Fr H.Q." (Whatever "Fr" means?!). 

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Drew-1918

I wonder if they are linked in some way to the Geneva Red Cross POW records. The Fold3 British Red Cross records seem to refer to an "enquiry" made in November 1918, and the Red Cross "POW" records also contain reference to a letter sent out by my great great grandfather in November, enquiring as to whether his son was a POW.