Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honest short film - friendly advice wanted

Fire In The Hole

Hello everyone, firstly I like to introduce myself, my name is Rick Roberts i'm an indie filmmaker based in UK. I've worked on a few WW2 period  films and TV productions plus other period dramas over the years. Due to my interest in history a few people have been asking me to think about making a WW1 short film.  If possible could I have some friendly advice from you all on ideas. I’d like to keep away from the stereotypes of the First World War and try to make something interesting set in the trenches on the Western front. I'm looking to cover a period from 1917 to 1918. Any interesting stories and help would be much appreciated. Please remember this would be a low-budget film, the story and the Ideas are key. As a filmmaker I do like to make gritty and honest stories so I would love to hear from you all. Thank you for your support.

6 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

Rick

What is an 'indie' filmmaker ?

He’s not affiliated with a major company. 

A indie filmmaker is someone who makes films off there own back! without a lot of money granted, but gives you the freedom to write and make a film without big producers telling you what they want to see because it sells the film! 

The German attacks in March 1918,  At the southern end of the British Line: because the government was holding back men from France (after the shocking losses at 3rd Ypres) the size of the Divisions was reduced by cutting the no of battalions in each brigade (from 3 to 4 - I may be wrong) and the Army was forced to cover a longer length of line to let the French move units around (and enhance British status in the alliance) so the men were further stretched.  The Germans then moved all their men from Russia(which had been defeated) and attacked on the 21st of March1918.  The British defences  were incomplete (the lack of man power meant they couldn't dig enough reserve trenches and strong points)  when the Germans attacked using storm troopers who under the cover of smoke and a heavy natural fog broke the british lines leaving groups of men fighting desperate isolated battles with Germans appearing from all side out of the mist.  So the landscape is obscured by fog  so no big expensively dressed sets, no large groups of men fighting en masse, politics galore and its a relatively unknown story in the UK. One example is  The 9th Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps part of the 14th Division South of St Quentin who lost 600 men killed, wounded and captured that day, their last signal was message that was received by pigeon stating they were holding out but gunfire from the posts stopped later that afternoon.

Battle of arras

Thousands of men in wait in Wellington tunnels under the batitle fields waiting for the order to exit onto the battlefield above ground in a surprise attack..

The poorly little tunnels ...the lack of toilets..the fear ...the ability to show the tension without huge sets requiring only a small number.

Research the battle of arras.

Oh and part of the tunnels are open to the public..

Steve