Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watkins - Lloyds Bank Wareham

Gareth Davies

I am trying to find out a little more about the Watkins family.  Father Watkins was the "Governor of Lloyd's Bank in Wareham" according to a book I am reading (were bank managers called governors 100 years ago?) and he had a daughter called Margarete.  I am struggling to find them and am beginning to think that they may be pseudonyms.  Can anyone do a little digging for me?  

• Admin

1911 census has a Thomas Watkins a Bank Cashier with the Wilts & Dorset Bank, with a daughter Ethel Margaret...

Not a Governor and not a Margarete but closest that the Ancestry search comes up with for Wareham, Dorset.

Regards

David

image courtesy Ancestry free access

image.png.89192be26b3be9d7c13f464aecffdc02.png

Good sleuthing David, thank you. I wonder what became of Ethel Margaret (there is method in the madness of my wondering that I shall reveal at some stage).

• Admin

Well she does appear to match with a Hugh Joseph Lennon (born 1896 Devon, England, death Victoria, Australia) on a family tree as shown in free access image from Ancestry below

image.png.879bbd8c3613c89ad927ae81fd5b6488.png

Thanks Dave. She gets a mention in a book about the American TanK Corps in a paragraph that starts "Off duty activities included.........."  It goes on to call her "saucy little Margarete Watkins". So I was half expecting her to run off with an American, not in the opposite direction. 

The marriage of an Ethel M Watkins to a Hugh J Lennon was recorded in the Chelsea District of London in the April to June quarter of 1919.

There are records for a Hugh Joseph Lennon, Private 4112, which include his marriage to an Ethel Margaret Watkins, School Teacher. Her father was Thomas Watkins, Bank Cashier – relevant page attached. The marriage was performed in a Roman Catholic Church.

His whole service record can be seen here:-

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=8193477&isAv=N

He originally enlisted under the surname Rahley.

Hope that helps – and in my experience Roman Catholic School Teachers’ are the worst - (says a man married to a retired Roman Catholic School Teacher :))

Peter

Extract from the Army Service Record for Hugh Joseph Lennon sourced Australian National Archive.jpg

44 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

edit - getting session expired on the link

Try this https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8193477

I'm getting straight in but I know since they changed the Archive format that permalinks don't always work.

If you have the timed out screen it normally gives you the option to sign in as a "guest", so no registration is needed.

In search screen there is a tab "Name Search" where you can enter name and choose the source Armed Service WW1, Army. That should give you 10 matches for Hugh Lennon. You can then further refine the search by adding his service number. His Australian National Archive entry has his Service Record attached.

And apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :-)

Cheers,

Peter

• Admin

Peter

Thanks for the info,  because I am a guest the link I posted does work for me hopefully Gareth as well. But you did the hard work!

David

• 4 years later...

Thank you all.