Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post Card help

Deb R

Hoping for some help regarding a post card sent from my great grandfather Edward (Ted) Clark to his wife my great grandmother Daisy during WW1.  From previous help from this forum we’ve established Ted was wounded around the 13/14 th if sept 1917 ... up until now my dads cousin said he was sent to Edinburgh hospital which sounds plausible as he was then sent to a Scottish fire command.  Ted was a gunner for the RGA.   The same cousin when moving recently to a retirement home came across this post card which belonged to Daisy which she sent me a copy of as she wasn’t quite ready to part with the original.

hoping to get some help as I can quite decipher the word before Piney Ridge.  And would he have written this from the hospital on the post card?  As there’s no date given I don’t know if this is from when he was wounded in Sept 1917 or another time.  Yet another mystery.

any tips? 

Regards 

Deb 

6597E9C5-FE92-481D-A4EB-AE63AFF8087A.jpeg

F1BCDCAD-F8B7-4DBC-8118-25B7D3B6DD86.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mike_H said:

Looks like Y M C A 

M

By Golly I think you are right that would make sense wouldn’t it ... I couldn’t make head or tail of it. I will have a look now at what YMCA did during WW1 thank you.

Deb 

4 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

Could be this ditty, apparently published in 1915.

Image provided from here.

Phil

Piney Ridge.jpg

And yes I think it must be this song ... That too would make sense if it was a song of that time and made the men think of home.

thank you 

Deb 

6 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Agreed

Might it be miss-spelled Vimy Ridge?

David

Thanks David someone else suggested that too which could have been a possibility if they weren’t allowed to say where they had been and it’s possible he may have been there with one of the RGA battalions.  I wish it was dated then I would know if this was after he was wounded in Sept 1917 or if this was a seperate time?  But the postcard seems to be from a hospital in the UK?  

Blessings

Deb