Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with cap badge id please

Richard C

I would appreciate if anyone can help identify the cap badge that my grandfather is wearing in this photo taken in 1914. I believe at this time he was a private in the  28th London Regt ( Artists) but I can't seem to verify the cap badge. He later went to serve with the Royal Engineers on the Western Front. Thank you

SHC.jpg

• Admin

Cap badge I would say Loyal North Lancs. This photo is of an officer, not a private soldier 

Michelle 

9 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Cap badge I would say Loyal North Lancs 

Michelle 

Yes, I agree.

Mike

Thats interesting, thank you. I'm now know that he did serve for a while as a 2nd lieutenant  in the Loyal North Lancs  before transferring to the Royal Engineers later in the war. Not sure why as he was from the Home counties.

Edited by Richard C

15 minutes ago, Richard C said:

I think he might have been a 2nd lieutenant  when this photo was taken, does that fit?

Maybe.

If you can supply his name, and any other details that you know about him, the cross referencing wheels of the forum could grind into action.

MIC Sidney Herbert Crease 28th London  Private 7054, 761611 then Loyal North Lancs 2nd Lt, then Royal Engineers  Lt

Edited by EDWARD1

2 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

MIC Sidney Herbert Crease 28th London  Private 7054, Loyal North Lancs 71611 then 2nd Lt, then Royal Engineers  Lt

That's him. Thank you

Later in the war he served with the Royal Engineers and we have this photo of him ( in the white trousers) with his platoon maybe . Does his uniform/dress tell us anything?

SHC - 2 Lt Royal Engineers.jpg

He was at University of London Officer Training Corps King`s College from March 16 to June 19. Gained BSc  Lt in RE

Edited by EDWARD1

37 minutes ago, Richard C said:

Later in the war he served with the Royal Engineers and we have this photo of him ( in the white trousers) with his platoon maybe . Does his uniform/dress tell us anything?

Taken at the end of, or after, the war.

There are several medal ribbons on show. Also the sergeant front left has 5 overseas chevrons on his right sleeve which I think would date it to 1919 - but wait for real uniform experts to come along.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-an-overseas-service-chevron/

BillyH.

edit : The officer in the front centre looks a bit old for overseas service, and there is what looks like a pot of heather at his feet. Could have been taken in Scotland ?

Edited by BillyH

• Admin

Looks like a Military Cross ribbon he's wearing 

Michelle 

36 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

He was at University of London Officer Training Corps King`s College from March 16 to June 19. Gained BSc  Lt in RE

Thank you that's Interesting, Where did you find that information? He must have served  in the RE while still studying for his BSc

33 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Looks like a Military Cross ribbon he's wearing 

Michelle 

I thought that but then saw that most of them, including ORs, wear the same ribbon.

Edited by PhilB

Indian General Service Medal maybe? 3rd Afghan war 1919?

Chris

Narrowing down the R.E. photo to just his feet (and his friend).

It looks as though he has two odd shoes - or is it just a trick of the light?

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.5acea41aa08b55eebcba7a8d2dc63aee.jpg

Edited by BillyH

Several of the o.r.s have signaller brassards and I wonder if the medal is actually a War Medal or Victory medal. I can't remember which but I believe it often shows up strangely on these prints. One at least looks to have a 14 or 14-15 Star.

I wonder if our man has just come from playing for the XI: he looks to have whites on under the jacket as well. Pulling on a jacket and a proper set of shoes might have been all he had time for.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Several of the o.r.s have signaller brassards and I wonder if the medal is actually a War Medal or Victory medal. I can't remember which but I believe it often shows up strangely on these prints. One at least looks to have a 14 or 14-15 Star.

I wonder if our man has just come from playing for the XI: he looks to have whites on under the jacket as well. Pulling on a jacket and a proper set of shoes might have been all he had time for.

That's a possibility, we hadn't thought of that. i will make enquiries with other family about whether he might have played at the time.

10 hours ago, PhilB said:

I thought that but then saw that most of them, including ORs, wear the same ribbon.

10 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Indian General Service Medal maybe? 3rd Afghan war 1919?

Chris

British War Medal ribbon. Would be a good indicator the picture was taken up to mid/late 1919, prior to the issue of Victory Medal ribbon.

18 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Cricket whites seems a good call to me too Steven.