Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a WW1 Soldier

Henry_Hoofhearted

I'm trying to help an overseas visitor to our FB local history group identify her ancestor who was killed in France in WW1. There's not much to go on and I've run out of ideas. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to throw some light on the individual named below.

Name: Charles Edward Morris

Born: 1877 in  Glyndyfrdwy (Gwynedd?)

Lived in: Penygroes, Gwynedd.

Other family members are believed to have served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Thank you.

Andrew.

There is a 1881 Census Record for a Charles E Morris - born in right place. He is 3. Father Peter C and mother Margaret A. Siblings Alfred J and Annie M. Does this make sense for your enquirer? This chap seems to be the Charles Edward Morris who's birth was registered 2Q of 1877 in the Corwen district. In 1881 this family are in Trawsfynydd.

It is linking him to a particular soldier that is going to be the hard bit. 

Any personal info on him they know would be useful

Hi

If you go to the tab at the top of this website for "long Long Trail" there is lots of info on how to trace men.

36 minutes ago, tootrock said:

The following snippet is from the Liverpool Echo, Tuesday 31 October 1916.

Is this your man? Penygroes is mentioned.

Martin

CEMorris.jpg.71cc1fc71584c1559d7b04966526c152.jpg

Between 1 Sep 16 and 31 Oct 1916 there's no recorded death for a Charles Edward Morris with CWGC.

The only death shown on SDGW for a Morris from Penygroes is Owen, in 1918.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

4 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a 1881 Census Record for a Charles E Morris - born in right place. He is 3. Father Peter C and mother Margaret A. Siblings Alfred J and Annie M. Does this make sense for your enquirer? This chap seems to be the Charles Edward Morris who's birth was registered 2Q of 1877 in the Corwen district. In 1881 this family are in Trawsfynydd.

It is linking him to a particular soldier that is going to be the hard bit. 

Any personal info on him they know would be useful

thank you. I'll pass this on. It may be of help.

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Between 1 Sep 16 and 31 Oct 1916 there's no recorded death for a Charles Edward Morris with CWGC.

The only death shown on SDGW for a Morris from Penygroes is Owen, in 1918.

Craig

Hello again.

I've just looked on Facebook and it seems that this cutting has already been passed on the lady in question. She mentions that the deceased served/was associated in some way with the Australians. 

Thanks Craig.

9 minutes ago, Henry_Hoofhearted said:

thank you. I'll pass this on. It may be of help.

She believes the deceased was associated in some way with the Australians. Seems unlikely, but you never know.

There's nothing shown in the Australian service records so any potential service there can be be ruled out for now.

Craig

There are only two Charles Edward Morris' shown in the soldiers' effects records and neither of them matches what we know of the his family.

Craig

7 hours ago, Henry_Hoofhearted said:

I'm trying to help an overseas visitor to our FB local history group identify her ancestor who was killed in France in WW1. There's not much to go on and I've run out of ideas. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to throw some light on the individual named below.

Name: Charles Edward Morris

Born: 1877 in  Glyndyfrdwy (Gwynedd?)

Lived in: Penygroes, Gwynedd.

Other family members are believed to have served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Thank you.

Andrew.

The Candian's have a service record fro a Charles Edward Morris born 28 Nov 1877 but he states he was born in London.
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=204648

Craig

• Admin

No records in the US draft cards that match as far as I can see although there is a Charles Morris whose birth is stated as simply "Great Britain" (just covering all the bases).

19 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

The Candian's have a service record fro a Charles Edward Morris born 28 Nov 1877 but he states he was born in London.
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=204648

Craig

It could well be, I'll take a look and pass it on. She tells me that he came over from America to join up. You're a blinkin' genius. Thanks.

Andrew.

19 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

No records in the US draft cards that match as far as I can see although there is a Charles Morris whose birth is stated as simply "Great Britain" (just covering all the bases).

Thanks for that, David.

Andrew