Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driving to Ypres - Advice please

Peter Le Duc

Dear All,

At the end of the month I am planning to drive from Calais to Ypres and then to return via Thiepval over a long weekend.

i have arranged travel and breakdown insurance and got the GB plates, spare bulbs, warning triangle, headlight deflectors, and hi-vis jacket.

i am somewhat confused by the regulations on Low Emmision Zones and if my journey requires me to get a sticker / register my car.

Any guidance and advice would be much appreciated. Also any general advice on driving over through France & Belgium would be very welcome.

Many thanks in anticipation.

peter

Hi Peter

Regarding Low Emission Zones, as long as you avoid the centre of Lille you will have no problem without a sticker. For further information you might want to explore the following site;

https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html

Generally it is much easier to drive in France / Belgium that the UK due to the far lower level of traffic. Do mind your speed as there is no tolerance ( having been 'done' for doing 71 in a 70 zone.) Drink driving has a much lower limit in both countries than the U.K. There are far fewer fuel stations in France & Belgium, especially France, where they are mainly located at supermarkets, they are also generally pay at the pump with a card.

By the way, do not be conned into buying breathalysers at the ferry or tunnel, they are not required here.

Enjoy your trip, most people find driving over here much easier than they thought it might be.

Kind regards

John

Oh, one more thing .......... drive on the right :) 

One thing I remember DIG. Drive in gutter as opposed to DIM drive in middle.

as long as it's a quick over and back you should miss the fuel strikes, Carrefour are reducing prices in lead up to 17th, you might still find dearer than in England.

watch out for speed cameras, there are web sites about them. Some are 100 MM square 1 m high, some globe shaped on top of 3m high poles, some are shaped like small reliant robins....

generally all painted grey with one strip of yellow and black diagonal tape on. Don't forget your conversions, and unlike here, the village and town speed limits vary. 30, 40, 50, kmph and 80 open divided roads. Motorways 110 in wet, 130 in dry. Keep eyes open for signs.

despite warnings about breathalysers, I don't think many have been pulled but they won't use yours as not calibrated.

yellow jackets, in the car to hand, should wear them as you get out the car. Not searching for them in the boot.

oh.... And the priority au droit, main roads that have junctions on your right.WATCH OUT. No white line means they can pull out in front of you, broken or full white they are SUPPOSED to stop. Best to slow approaching junctions.

otherwise have a good time, just careful at Thiepval, keep valuables locked in boot.

always a good read  http://english.controleradar.org/   right had side has pictures. if you go through roadworks past Boulogne on motorway camera is in the middle reservation and gets a lot of use.

before you get there, if going on M20

M20 Smart Motorway info

M20 Junction 4 (Leybourne) to 6 (Maidstone) complete carriageway closure from 16/11/18 22:00 – 19/11/18 06:00. This is likely to impact journey times to our Folkestone terminal. We recommend you visit M20 Smart Motorway

Please allow adequate time for your journey.

Edited by chaz

I have just come back this weekend  had  great time if possible  sea thiepval just as it gets dark looks beautiful  all litup. Makes for good photos 

Just to add to the great advice already posted. If you have to use the automated pay at pump petrol stations just be prepared that if you pay by visa they automatically hold about £100 regardless of what you put in, I suppose to ensure that you have definitely paid. This is meant to get refunded after about 10 days. My partner and I came back yesterday and not being aware of this caused a rather panicked/ confused conversation until we googled it. Still waiting for the refund mind you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. The trip was a great success and very memorable. I found the driving remarkably easy , largely due to a good satnav and despite the weather. Worst thing was lack of ‘cats eyes’ very noticeable from Thiepval to Ypres on dark wet roads.

would highly recommend driving for the ability to detour at will.

regards

Peter