Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A chronological & geographical visualisation of French deaths

Dragon

Some might be interested in this. It's a graphic which scrolls day by day throughout the war years, showing on a map of the twelve départements which were the Western Front in France where men were killed and how many. 

"1,4 million de morts. 37 tués par heure pendant quatre ans et demi. 500 000 dans les cinq premiers mois."  

https://www.lefigaro.fr/fig-data/tombes-champ-honneur/

(Note: Figdata doesn't work on Internet Explorer 11, for me. I used Chrome.)

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Replacing link.

Thanks, Gwyn.

My attempts to open the link failed, but I’ll try the desktop which has Chrome.

Forgive me for the quibble, but that citation of 500,000 dead in the first five months is exaggerated.  There were about 300,000 French deaths in those months of 1914 : the 500,000  figure includes prisoners, and comes from the French report of parlement in 1920 which conflates morts, disparus et prisonniers. Forgive incorrect french spelling and lack of accents.

Phil

Testing - it isn’t working from the forum on my iPad Pro so I’m copying and pasting again/ https://www.lefigaro.fr/fig-data/tombes-champ-honneur/

Edit. This has just worked.

Edited by Dragon

You’ve done it , Gwyn !

It’s working on the iPad .

Thanks.

Note that this states that 25th September 1915 is the worst day : the 22nd August 1914 has been knocked off its perch.

Phil

I can't comment on French casualty or death rates because I don't have the information, but what is often overlooked by people who are most interested in the British participation is that in 1915 major actions were taking place in the Vosges, such as at Hartmannswillerkopf, Reichsackerkopf, Hilsenfirst, Metzeral and le Linge, and the many cemeteries in that area testify to the great losses. (Below, Cimetière Wettstein, French casualties at le Linge.)

1108778322_Wettstein1resized.jpg.22f2746348c8b26dde3144e8709e0c8a.jpg