Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Veterans" - could anyone do a lookup?

Tom Morgan

Could anyone have a look at their copy of "Veterans" by Richard van Emden and see if there is an index? If there is, I'd like to know if there is any reference to a J. Hirst of the Hampshire Regiment. (I don't have a copy to hand at the moment or I would look it up myself)

Tom

tom, there is no index in my copy, i have had a quick check of book but can't find him!

enoch

paul, you must have looked through the book longer than me! :D

enoch

Tom,

Just got my copy off the shelf, & had a quick look, like Paul & Enoch, I can confirm that there is no index, & I cannot see your man named anywhere.

Two things struck me as glanced through the book, firstly that it is dedicated to Harry Patch, who still appears in the media from time to time talking about his experiences & secondly that they only featured 25 veterans at a time when there were over 300 still known to be alive (in November 1918 when the French extended the award of the Legion d'Honneur to British veterans who had served in France that was the number "officially" quoted)..

Maybe given that there are now 29 veterans that we are aware of in the UK, someone could write a book & maybe make a documentary detailing them, their experiences & what happened to them over the years.

Cheers

Mark